Options

Guest Book

124»

Comments

• Options
    HouseworkfairyHouseworkfairy Member Posts: 1
    Hi it's the houseworkfairy here. New to brewing of any kind. Just started getting my equipment together and gotta kit to start with to see how I get along. Should of started this earlier as I've just missed out on raiding dad's plum trees. But there's always next year. I'm sure I shall need lots of help and advice from you wonderful people.
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Welcome.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    JaneJane Member Posts: 37
    Hi - lots of info and help on here. I've just got back into it after a few years off, but it's still great fun and very rewarding. Jx
  • Options
    MikeyGMikeyG Member Posts: 21
  • Options
    DenjerusDenjerus Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody, I've joined the forum because HBO is about the most reasonable way to homebrew round these parts especially with the free postage through the ebay outlet. Came to these guys after last Fathers day when my youngest son (aged nearly 40 now) bought me a real ale kit for Fathers day, and I needed to get the Starter kit to brew it up. Turned out to be a real success and I got a second barrel so I could keep a stream of brews going. I must admit to buying from a different supplier of kits locally but that supplier couldn't survive on my sole custom and removed Homebrew from their shelves, But no worries with HBO fast deliveries. Only this morning the postman dropped off a Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale, (well gentlemen prefer Blondes) and that is already in the fermenting vessel.
    I do have one piece of advice for all us newbies out there.. Be scrupulous in the cleaning of your storage vessels. I often bottle half a dozen bottles from my brews and have never had a bad bottle but there has been occasion that the barrel contents have not been so nice.. I had to pour a barrel of Wheat beer away and I am sure it was down to a barrel that had not been properly cleaned. Be warned.
    I shall be asking more questions as I get further into this homebrew malarkey for certain, sure.
    Thanks for being here guys
  • Options
    PodPod Member Posts: 1
    Hello , Paul here from Ireland , getting my coopers home brew kit off Santa , so looking forward to making my first if hopefully many brews, I'll probably annoy you guys with questions once I get going
  • Options
    PeatPeat Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,thanks, for the welcome to this forum.
    I`ll save all my many questions for the relevant places. Having looked through the site already some have been answered so many more await.
    Peat.
  • Options
    timwilliams19timwilliams19 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, Very new to this home brewing lark but looking forward to the results.
  • Options
    Gdavis1976Gdavis1976 Member Posts: 1
    Great info here so happy I found this place.
  • Options
    DeanojevoDeanojevo Member Posts: 58
    Hello. Looks like I'm the first to post in a while. Hope this forum is still active?
    Just got a Youngs definitive Lager for Christmas and have just kitted up! So looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Dean.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Welcome Dean, let us know how you get on with it, cheers
  • Options
    ValdevirValdevir Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone! I'm an absolute beginner with this brewing malarkey so I'm hoping you lot can help me if I get stuck, please? :D It's something I've always thought about doing but never really bothered with... until now!
    Dinosaurs didn't have beer... look how that worked out for them!
  • Options
    Welcome Valdevir, take a look at the posts and let us know how you get on, they are a helpful and friendly bunch on here!
  • Options
    ValdevirValdevir Member Posts: 4
    Deanojevo said:

Hello. Looks like I'm the first to post in a while. Hope this forum is still active?

Just got a Youngs definitive Lager for Christmas and have just kitted up! So looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Dean.

Ey up! I'm a new starter today too. Just bought myself a Woodfordes Norfolk Nog micro brewery kit, I'm hoping it'll turn up before Friday this week as I've got a long weekend to get my head around it and possibly to just sit there staring at the fermenter wishing it was ready :D Good luck with the Lager kit!
    Dinosaurs didn't have beer... look how that worked out for them!
  • Options
    DeanojevoDeanojevo Member Posts: 58
    > @Valdevir said:
    > Hello. Looks like I'm the first to post in a while. Hope this forum is still active?
    >
    > Just got a Youngs definitive Lager for Christmas and have just kitted up! So looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
    >
    >
    >
    > Dean.
    >
    > Ey up! I'm a new starter today too. Just bought myself a Woodfordes Norfolk Nog micro brewery kit, I'm hoping it'll turn up before Friday this week as I've got a long weekend to get my head around it and possibly to just sit there staring at the fermenter wishing it was ready :D Good luck with the Lager kit!

Thanks mate. I'm just in the process of getting some bottles together! Getting there!

Good luck with yours, hope it turns out well!
  • Options
    AdeDunnAdeDunn Member Posts: 4
    Hello

Ade from Wolverhampton, originally from mid Staffordshire though so I don't have the accent (so far anyway. lol).

I started my brewing journey many years ago, making mead with kit bought from the high street that was as rough as you can get as I didn't know about degassing etc back then. Before taking a break for many years. We returned to the hobby (my wife and I) last year, when I was given a huge quantity of raspberries from my mother's garden, and decided to make raspberry melomel with them (came into it's own about a month ago, absolutely delicious!). Then we went blackberry picking locally and made blackberry melomel with them (still bulk conditioning). Then in October last year we took the plunge and had a go at brewing beer from kits.

My wife liked the kit brew, but I just didn't get on with it. So we bought a mash tun/boiler combi, and made the transition to BIAB all grain brewing. Number 7 (an ordinary bitter) is currently sat waiting to be racked to second vessel to clear, number 6 (a fuggles hopped British golden ale) is sat in secondary waiting for the PET bottles that just this minute arrived. HBO ones, as they do the job very nicely, and are an excellent price. I also have a HBO pressure barrel, does lovely job but has been stuck for a while now holding a rather unpleasant kit beer that my wife likes with lemonade in it... lol The beer is lovely and smooth, but far too high in alcohol (you can probably guess who made the kit... lol) for our tastes. ;)

Our favourite style of beer though has to be a nice Saison, the best of which was my last one, a mosaic hopped (including a dry hopping) Saison made with nearly a whole jar of Scottish heather honey.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Welcome Ade, sounds (and looks) fantastic, and you have a nice line up of brews conditioning to keep you going
  • Options
    IianIian Member Posts: 5
    Hi Everyone. New to the forum, but happily bottled up my first batch of IPA last night!! Really looking forward to the results after two months, had a little sip last night and was surprised how nice it tasted considering it was my first attempt!!
  • Options
    Welcome lian, great news about your first IPA, given some time in the bottles it will develop some great flavours
  • Options
    SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone, I’ve just joined the forum.
    Just got back into homebrew after a few years. I’m currently making a Winebuddy Merlot kit & it’s coming along nicely.
    I’ve bought a “Tilt” hydrometer & it’s fantastic. No more trying get a sample & using a manual hydrometer 😀

- Steve
  • Options
    Welcome SteveG7RTA, glad to hear you are back brewing, see how you find the WineBuddy. The Beaverdale range are really popular and need no sugar adding so may be worth taking a look at. We love the Tilt hydrometers too, they really make it easy and take the guess work out of brewing
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Thank you for the welcome. The Winebuddy Merlot is coming on nicely. Tomorrow is day 6 & according to the Tilt (which I think it fantastic!) the SG is already .996 but the fermentation is still going strong! It has slowed down a little but it still bubbling at a nice rate. I know the SG has to be below .996 but it will be by tomorrow for certain. I’ve already seen Tilt readings at .992 (I guess it’s still bobbing around)

Cheers
    Steve

Ps: I could never do it without the Tilt now. Getting accurate gravity & temperature readings so easily is brilliant!
  • Options
    Cheers Steve, another day or so and it should stop bubbling, once the Tilt reading stays constant you can go continue the process, they say it can be drank soon after but for the best flavours we suggest to leave in bottles in a dark place for as long as possible, as the flavours will improve
  • Options
    Just been up to check on the Merlot & I don’t believe it.. it has suddenly stopped bubbling (well just about) considering I was getting a bubble every 7 seconds earlier today, it has dropped right off, to one every minute or more! Final gravity reading still 0.989
    I shall do the next bit tomorrow 😀
  • Options
    CelticTwilightCelticTwilight Member Posts: 29
    Hi all new to the site and forum, looks friendly and informative. I just received my first order of interesting new kits to try and will add a separate entry on that in the postage dept.

I have been brewing beer since I was 18. I began making wine in my thirties when I had a bigger place with a cellar. My first three kits (all Geordie Lager) were basically failures although just about drinkable but rather disheartening so I had one final throw of the dice and tried the Geordie Bitter kit which worked fine first attempt. Hope this helps anybody else finding themself in a similar predicament.

This was the beginning of a life long learning curve and I gradually developed the confidence to experiment with different levels of yeast, sugar and water on various kits. I tend to go about half way between 30 & 40 pint recipes (34-36). My only mistakes since have been overdoing it with the priming sugar on a few occasions although at the time I have always thought I was being accurate so tend to add slightly less than the maximum advised in these days. I don't like it too gassy so no problem there. I keep my brewing quite basic these days given I now live in a flat. Boy do I miss that cellar!

I will leave it there for now save to say that a few of my favourite kits disappeared off the shelves over the years. My best kits have been: Boots Dry Irish Stout; Boots White Cider (both sadly long since gone as they also made an immense white feather when combined!); Edme Stout (no longer available anywhere near me); Geordie - Scottish Export, Yorkshire bitter & Mild; Caxton Real Ale (my No1); Young's - Pilsner Lager, (? Title) Cider; John Bull - Country Cider. Wine: CWE 6 bottle kits - Black Cherry; Elderflower; Ginger (all awesome) + various reds & whites I can't remember titles of nor seen any of this brand for over 10 years; Brew buddy Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay 30 bottle kits.

Ones to avoid like the plague mentioning no names directly: own brand high street retailers red wine and dark berry cider both extremely pale and being 'Water' flavour - oh and they weren't significantly cheaper either - I put it down to weak concentrate (and that was after reducing the water content in both instances too) as I have seen reviews suggesting doubling these and getting decent results etc. Still learning ;)

• Options
    JD82JD82 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

New member here. Carrying out my very first brew as we speak. A Young’s American IPA.

Had a bit of a panic on Saturday when lots of froth started coming through the airlock but seems to have settled down now and quite happily bubbling and fermenting away.

Hopefully all goes well and I’ll have a cracking IPA in a month or so!! Cheers.
  • Options
    Laurie123Laurie123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I have just re started my home brew adventure. Made an aipa which wasn’t bad. Have just bottled 40 pints of On the Rocks Spiced Apple Cider and have a Mangrove Jacks Roasted Stout on order.

Laurie.
  • Options
    boscarboscar Member Posts: 9
    Hi I have been brewing for a few years and so glad I’ve found a decent forum so I can get tips on brewing