Options

Imperial Stout, "No carbonation yet"

rjfvtrjfvt Member Posts: 2
Hi all,
I brewed an Imperial stout with a ABV of 10.2. I primed the 5 gallon batch with 6 ounces of maple syrup, this was a little more than the brewers calculator said to use. The bottles have been conditioning for two months and no carbonation has started yet.

Thanks
Rick

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Stumped if I'm honest.

Could be they are not air tight, or your beer is so strong the yeast cannot survive the alcohol level.

But honestly don't know.

Sorry.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    rjfvtrjfvt Member Posts: 2
    That's ok, some of the other forums suggested:
    Adding yeast and recapping,
    Moving them to a warmer storage area to at least 70 degrees,
    Giving it six months to carbonate due to the high 10.2 ABV
    I’m going to move the beer to a warmer place and give it another month. If it's still flat I’m going to put my beer in a keg and order a beer gun that way it will be carbonated and I enjoy a draft and also bottle a few to give away.
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Yea good luck, it's pretty stong that stuff!

The strongest one I have brewed is a Bulldog Brews - Bad Cat, which is around 7.5%, maybe a touch higher after adding priming sugar and I love it, but you gotta go easy on it otherwise it'll ruin you for the next day.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA