Options

Milton? Yes or No?

HotrodHotrod Member Posts: 2
Hi, I'm new here so if I'm doing this wrong I apologise. When I started brewing a few months ago I spent fortunes on sanitising stuff but then realised that good old Milton (tablets or fluid) worked and was safe for baby stuff so why not use it for brewing stuff? 
It worked fine but the local brew shop said it was a No-No (without saying why - perhaps it was 'cos they wanted to sell more pricey stuff!).
Is Milton OK??
I've tried Oxy-Pro but it left a nasty bloom on the bottles that was hard to get off (although I realise I probably mixed it up too strong) and Sodium Metabisulphite but to me Milton seems the simplest solution (excuse pun). What do you think? 

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Milton is used by home brewers, although we have also heard it is not the best thing for the job, there is a reason but we can't find where it was explained to pass the reason on to you, hopefully someone else may know. Many people work on the theory if it can sterilise baby stuff then it should be fine for beer, which does make sense, so it may be worth just looking into a little further, perhaps see what the manufacturers say if they have contact info on the container. We must admit we always use VWP, just a teaspoon goes a long way, and have no problems with brews being contaminated, so we know it works and stick with it. You can also get no rinse steriliser for lighter cleaning, but we prefer to be sure and wash with VWP and rinse with clean water.

If you do get an answer from the manufacturers we would love to hear it so we can pass the comments on as a few people ask this....

• Options
    Thanks for the prompt response. I've emailed Milton an will let you know if/when I get a reply. :-?
  • Options
    OK, I got a reply from Milton which appears below - seems it's fine to use this stuff.

Dear Rod 

Thank you for your email regarding Milton, I apologise for the delay in
    responding to your enquiry. 

I have checked with the manufacturer and can confirm that Milton tablets
    and solutions can be used to sterilise home brew equipment.

The recommended dilution is 30ml of Milton (liquid) - 5l cold water,
    leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse out.

Please note that Milton should not be used on metals on a regular basis
    as it can corrode metal.

I hope that this answers your question. However, should have any further
    queries, please do not hesitate to contact customer services on 0844 243

Kind Regards

Lindsay Sturt 

Lindsay Sturt l Customer Service Advisor l Ceuta Healthcare Ltd
    Hill House, 41 Richmond Hill, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH2 6HS
    Tel: 0844 243 6661 l DDI: 01202 449734 l Fax: 0844 243 6662
    Email: Lindsay.Sturt@ceutahealthcare.com l Please visit our company website at: <http://www.ceutahealthcare.com> 
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the update, we will pass this on to other people who ask. It seems fine to use on most home brew equipment, and advise caution on metal items, this may be especially worth noting on things such as barrel caps with the injectors on them, etc,
  • Options
    mrspeggmrspegg Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have just bottled my first batch of home brew and had researched every step carefully. I was going to sanitise the bottles using bleach as I had read this was the best thing to use. However, I used the Milton tablets because I had been told this would be fine also but have to say I didn't do any research on this until now. I had a sudden thought that using Milton may kill off yeast? The primary use of Milton is for baby equipment and to avoid ( along with other bugs) thrush in infants, which is obviously a yeast infection. So hoping for feedback from any one who has had successful brewing using the Milton! I hope I don't have to ditch the batch but am slightly concerned I have made an error! Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    There seems to be lots of people who use Milton so as long as it is properly rinsed you should be fine, and this is confirmed by the manufacturers comments above. We only recommend VWP steriliser as it is specifically designed for cleaning things such as home brew equipment, it must also be well rinsed and we have not heard of any problems with it;

• Options
    MreddsterMreddster Member Posts: 60
    I recommend VWP. It's fit for purpose and always works. Not to mention its really cheap. So why use anything else?