Options

Checking clearing through the plastic pressure barrel

ciftacifta Member Posts: 6
edited November 2011 in Frequently Asked Questions
I have some "nelson revenge" sitting in the garage currently in the provided pressure barrel. Should i be checking this between now and the 2 week final stage by pouring a small glass every so often to check the clearness of the ale? or should i just wait the entire 2 weeks and then check it then? (hopefully not much of a stupid question)
Also just another cheeky question. I now have 40 PET bottles full of St Peter's Currently starting their 2 week second stage fermentation process. Should i put them in a fridge for 2 weeks? or just in the garage where the nelson's is? Also once these have finished is it true their shelf life is approx 6 months of stored in the fridge?
(actually 3 additional cheeky Questions:) sorry about that, Just intrigued to gain the knowledge)
Thanks in advance Wizards of Homebrew!!

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi cifta,

Are you sure you're just not desperate to try the Nelsons Revenge?! We have found that Woodfordes is best left a bit longer in the second stage, the longer you leave it the better, four weeks and the flavour is much improved. The St Peters in bottles will be fine in the garage, it's pretty cool outside at the moment, and if it gets too cold they will get a chill haze, which will give the beer a cloudy effect. In bottles you could expect to store your brew for up to a year, whereas with a barrel probably more around 6 months.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. ill leave the keg and check on it in another 2 and a half weeks then:)Good stuff.Thanks for the bits.
  • Options
    hello again, after making my second batch of st peters golden ale i decided to purchase another pressure barrel from you guys to have it stored in there. I barreled it around 3 weeks ago and tried it last night. It tasted pretty much the same (almost, maybe more metallic?)But it was very cloudy. Is this chill haze? as it is stored in the garage. if so is this ok to drink like this? also what can i do to fix it?
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    Hi Cifta, hopefully your golden ale just needs a bit more time. I did a golden ale myself and it took about 6 or 7 weeks to completly clear. Turned out really good, it was meant to be for christmas but I've supped it all already.

Could be chill haze if its really cold in your garage. Chill haze won't effect the taste of your beer at all and will go eventually but it can take a long time. I had chill haze with a Coopers Canadian Blonde, as soon as it got to about 3 degrees it would go murky and when it warmed up it cleared again. It did go though, eventually.