Options

Secondary Fermentation

Hi, just transferred my first brew into me keg, now the waiting game, can't wait for me first sample, proberbly in 2 weeks time. Do I keep it at around temp 18/19 for a week then am I able to put keg in fridge? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Excellent, it sounds like you are just about there, once you priem the barrel with a little sugar and seal the lid on, if you can ideally keep it somewhere warm for a week (20 degrees C approx) this will help the secondary fermentation get off to a good start and carbonate the brew. It can then be moved somewhere a few degrees cooler to help it clear. Once ready to serve you could place it in a fridge, just be aware if it comes out cloudy this may be due to a 'chill haze' which is temperature related and nothing to worry about, it doesn't always happen and only affects the appearance, not the taste
  • Options
    Gary1240Gary1240 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks, am I right in saying I can sample after 2 weeks of secondary fermentation, I've brewed Coopers lager. Thanks
  • Options
    After 2 weeks it will probably have begun to clear and carbonate, and you can sample to see how it is doing. It may be ready, but generally speaking the longer you can leave it the better it will taste as it continues to develop
  • Options
    Thanks, I looked at me barrel and the base is no longer flat, i seems to be rounded proberbly due to the pressure build up, I have a co2 injector cap which is supposed to release pressure when needed, is this normal, I'm just worried that the barrel may explode.
  • Options
    The barrels are not as good as they could be unfortunately, but there are currently few other options unless you want to bottle. Often the bases will curve and this is very common, it can mean they rock so is worth placing on something soft to take out the unevenness and ensure it doesn't mix up the brew. The caps all have a safety vent on them, if the pressure gets too high they will release, as long as the rubber seal is not stuck down with beer etc. If it looks as though the pressure is getting a bit too high, you can loosen the lid a little and allow some CO2 out just as a precaution
  • Options