Options

Keg Pressure

BriBri Member Posts: 7
edited November 2011 in Beer Brewing
Hi there,

I'm new to homebrewing and bought my first starter kit just over a week ago from York.

Primary fermentation was eventful with excessive foam coming through the bubble valve, this was put down to too much heat and eventually calmed down.

I made the decision to keg my first beer and used the one that came with the kit. Secondary fermentation was started without a hitch, temperature was a steady 20 deg for just over 24 hours,, it has now dropped slightly but my problem is the immense pressure building up in the keg. the bottom of the keg has bulged out beyond the little dimples/feet.

I made the choice after reading some similar situations to loosen the cap to release some pressure, i then found the pressure release valve in the cap and so used that to finish the job.

The keg is now holding a lower pressure (until it builds up again) but the bottom is still bulging.

Have i done the right thing in releasing the pressure manually or should i have placed my trust in the pressure release valve to do the job for me before it blew the tap across the kitchen?

Thanks,

Bri.

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to say, secondary fermentation was started 2 days ago (monday night), 6 days after primary fermentation was started.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Bri,

Some kits do have a very lively initial fermentation, especially if kept very warm. High pressure can sometimes be caused by transferring to the keg before the primary fermentation is fully completed, by checking the specific gravity using a hydrometer and making sure the S.G is somewhere near the reading the manufacturers recommend, and has remained constant for 2 days in a row, you have peace of mind it is ready to transfer to the keg or bottles. If the keg has been excessively bulging it was probably wise to release some pressure, as it may be that the pressure release is not working correctly, this could be caused by it becoming blocked or it could even be a faulty valve. By releasing some pressure using the pressure release valve, this may well have freed it up so it can release pressure as it needs to.

After you have finished this batch, when you take a closer look at the pressure release valve, if it is faulty please let us know and we will get a replacement sent out to you

HBO
  • Options
    OK thanks, i was monitoring the G and it started at 1.036 (initial) and fell to a steady 1.006 for 2 days prior to kegging.

I think i'll put this one down to a sticky valve, but i'll be monitoring pressure throughout the secondary fermentation period and will keep you updated of any problems (read: explosions) :D
  • Options
    Update time.

The keg has been moved under the stairs, its cooler in there and when i check there is the occasional whiff of beer, so i assume the pressure release valve is now working properly.

Happy Days.
  • Options
    Final update, keg pressure shot back up and i had to manually release it. No matter thought as it was time to drink. First pour was a careful one so as not to end up with a pint of head. Slightly over carbonated, reasonably clear and with a good head, although that didnt last long.

Very light in flavour but no nasty aftertaste would suggest this was a successful first brew.

Onward to the next one!
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Sounds like youve had a pretty good result. You'll find that the flavour will get much better after about 6 weeks or so. They are usually pretty light to start with.