Options

Secondary vessel

Hi fellas new to all this keen to learn as I go along.
Just started my 1st lager infact my 1st kit al together iv used the Wilkos light golden lager started of with gs 1053 left it to verment for 10 days (on kit it said 4-6 days) yesterday I transferred it from the bucket with the airlock on top to a plastic keg with the tap on the bottom but I mixed a lot of the mess on the bottom of the bucket and transferred it also while doing this I added more sugar into the keg when I transferred the. Rest over have I done this totally wrong and what should I have done and what can I do now all help is grateful my fg reading was 1016 when transferring

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We're not sure on the exact hydrometer readings as we aren't familiar with the Wilko brand, however the reading of 1016 sounds as though it is reasonably low, the main thing is that it has to have finished fermenting, which after 10 days it would usually have done, as long as the temperature was reasonable, around 20 degrees C or so.
    When you transfer over into the barrel it is best to leave as much of the sediment which has settled behind in the first vessel, although if you disturbed it, it will settle again in the barrel. Once it is in the barrel add a little sugar, depending on the instructions it may have been around 100g or so, then seal the barrel up and leave somewhere warm for a week to help it start secondary fermentation in the barrel, it will then begin to carbonate and clear. After a few weeks it should be clear and about ready to drink, as with all home brews, they are usually best left for a few weeks minimum if possible to allow the full flavours to develop