Options

Coopers Irish Stout

New2BrewNew2Brew Member Posts: 18
Hi Everyone;Today I have sampled my Coopers Irish Stout.Wow,it was only bottled on Christmas day,so it is still quite young.I brewed it in the normal way,but used 700gms of dextrose and 500gms of extra dark spray malt for an abv of 4.7.
Very good head retention and mouth feel,good liquorice and dark chocolate notes.
A very dark brew,down to the extra dark spray malt.The carbonation seems a little weak.I added one coopers carbonation drop.On the first irish stout that I brewed,the carbonation was fine.Maybe it is because this brew is a lot denser.I would appreciate any views or feedback regarding this.
Time to sample another.Cheers Pete.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Pete, thanks for the update it sounds like the brew turned out well, the carbonation may well not be as much as your last batch because it hasn't been bottled that long, leaving it longer may help it to carbonate further. The amount of carbonation is usually determined by the amount of priming sugar/drops added, and it will build up to full carbonation if left for a while. The temperature can affect how long it takes to carbonate too, we suspect that if you drink some more a little later then it will continue to improve, as will the flavours too as it is still quite young in the bottles.

Adjusting the stout with spraymalt and sugar to your preference is a great way to perfect them to your liking, and should give it more body, flavour and head too
  • Options
    New2BrewNew2Brew Member Posts: 18
    Hi Guys.Thanks for that,put my mind at rest.I had convinced myself that because the beer is denser it could affect carbonation.Doh!.
    In that case onto the next brew.Coopers lager with a hopped light spray malt.
    Cheers Pete.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Pete, we're not sure if the style of brew such as a stout would have much of an effect on the carbonation, it is usually adjusted by changing the amount of priming sugar/drops. Coopers Lager is a really popular one, and the spraymalt will add flavour and body to it, if you decide to go down the beer route adding hops (in the form of a hop teabag etc) is a popular thing to do too