Options

How long between sanitisation and bottling?.

Hi Guys,i'm pretty new to home-brewing after a long time away from it.My querie is what would be the safest amount of time you could pre-sanitise your bottles in relation to actual bottling?.
I have been sanitising my bottles approx. 24 hours before bottling,allowing time for them to dry out.The bottles are kept in a "fast rack" system and left in the kitchen.Could this be done a few days earlier,or would it be best to sanitise,then bottle asap?.Many thanks Pete.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Pete, it is best to bottle as soon as possible after cleaning your bottles, this minimises the risk of any contamination, and we always say to sanitise even new bottles to be on the safe side, cleaning is one of the most important parts of home brewing. Once cleaned and left to drain, bottle as soon as you can. If using a no-rinse steriliser such as Brew Safe then the manufacturers instructions are on the pack, if using one such as VWP which needs rinsing before then bottling, once rinsed and allowed to drain they can then be filled
  • Options
    New2BrewNew2Brew Member Posts: 18
    Hi,Thanks for that advice,very sensible.May-be on my next order I will try Brew Safe,to save a little time.At the moment I use vwp.I am very happy with it.Many thanks pete.
  • Options
    ajbajb Member Posts: 38
    Hi pete,
    I used to use VWP but then switched to Brew safe, I don't think I would go back brew safe just takes another step (rinsing) and time out of the sanitising process.
    Alan
  • Options
    New2BrewNew2Brew Member Posts: 18
    Hi ajb.
    I have just purchased 2 x packs of Brew-Safe,and will be using it on my next brew.Just finished the last of the VWP,great results but time consuming,plus the fact that I am also on a water meter.
    I hope that Brew-Safe works as good as VWP,it's a confidence thing,but you have to move with the times.
  • Options
    ajbajb Member Posts: 38
    Hi New2Brew,
    You wont look back after using brew safe ;)