Options

Wheat beer how much lemon zest?

I got a recipe for a wheat beer that tells me to put in 43 grams of Lemmon zest in the brew for the last 5 min, I am not sure this is a good thing to do it seems a little excessive to me. I don't want a beer that has to much Lemmon taste, any thoughts on this anyone? It's a 20 litre batch and I'm also putting in 11g of coriander seeds for 5 min from the end as well. Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Options
    GalootGaloot Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I recently brewed a 40 pint Muntons connoisseurs wheat beer kit. I boiled up some water in a pan and added the zest of a whole orange and 10g of crushed coriander seeds and let it boil for 15 minutes. I then sieved out the orange & seed mix. I then added it to the malt mix before leaving to ferment.

It's been about 5 to 6 weeks in the bottle after fermenting. While the beer tastes really good I'm not picking up any Orange or Coriander personally. I have asked a couple of other taste testers and they can't either.

So either I didn't boil for long enough or I needed more.

Anyway I hope this helps!

Tim

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Is it often a case of trial and error, the amounts can sometimes seem high but you can adjust to your preference. The flavours can be subtle and may develop further as the brew conditions