Options

Cider yeast starter...

alexalex Member Posts: 15
edited November 2011 in Cider Making
Hi guys im new to the forum and new to brewing! Yesterday I pressed my apples to make cider. After watching afew videos on youtube I added a tea spoon of sugar and one of yeast to a glass of tepid water. After an hour i came back to it. There were a few, really not many, small bubbles. I thought Id have a go and add this to my apple juice and check in 24hours. Iv come back to it today and it seems nothing has happened. Does anyone have any thoughts? Could the yeast be dead? Am I just expecting too much too quick?

I really dont want to loose the apple juice so any help/advice would be so appreciated.

Thanks so much
Alex

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Alex,

Hope your cider has started, it might just need a bit longer to get going. Have you got yourself a Hydrometer to see if any fermentaton is going on?

If it still seems like nothing is happening the first thing I would check is if you have the apple juice warm enough. I would have it at about 24 degrees C. If its warm enough and still not starting I would add a bit of sugar to the apple juice and give it a good stir, about 80grams per 20 litres. If these dont work it might need a new sachet of yeast. Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to get some more yeast and try again. I want to get it fermenting ASAP so the juicce doesn't go bad! Really appreciate your help. I'll let you know how I get on!
    Alex
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That would be great if you let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    Hey guys. So I bought some new yeast and made another starter. After only a few minuets the bubbles started! Left it an hour and it was clear how much better it was working. Added it to my juice and checked after 48 hours. I'm pleased to say it looks to be fermenting away nicely! Thanks for your advice : ) I must have got some dud yeast first off! Is there anything I should do now? Or is it a case of leave it to its own devices and come back to it when it's finished fermenting? Thanks!
    Alex : )
  • Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    with mine i just left it to it and checked it with a hydrometer every few days till it leveled out at 1.010, it took 3 weeks for it to complete its first stage but it can be as quick as 1 week depending on what heat you have it and what type of apples you use. then i racked into bottles and left it to mature for a couple of months.
  • Options
    Cool! :) Thanks Marko, I think i'll do that. Really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Its my first time brewing and its all quite exciting...