Options

bubbles during primary fermentation

ciftacifta Member Posts: 6
edited November 2011 in Frequently Asked Questions
My beer has been in the fermentation tub for only 3 days (just) and already the bubbles in the airlock had reduced massively..is this normal? Yesterday it was bubbling away every 5 minutes or so. now its more like every 20 minutes ..

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Cifta, this is perfectly normal, so nothing to worry about. The first 24 hours or so are usually the most vigorous stage then it will slowy bubble away for about 5 days usually, till it stops completely.
  • Options
    ciftacifta Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the help...it managed 4 days in the end and then stopped altogether.
    thanks again:)
  • Options
    killerklown88killerklown88 Member Posts: 10
    hi,like many ive had no bubbles at all after 24hrs. i keep reading that all brews are differant,but i also read that the first 24hrs are the most vigorous. i do have froth on the top.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If the brew is creating froth then this is a good sign it is fermenting well, fermentation is different for all brews, and cooler temperatures such as brewing in the cooler months will really slow things down. The only accurate way to tell exactly how the fermentation is doing, is to use a hydrometer and check it's progress with readings, this is especially important towards the end of the fermentation to make sure it has completely finished before bottling or transferring to a barrel. Keeping the brew within the recommended temperature range on the instructions is also a good way to make it ferment in good time