Options

Glass bottle & sugar question ?

Hi all,
I have recently bought a few pieces for making my own home brew.
I have bought the beer machine and it seems pretty simply to use.
I did not like the idea of using plastic bottle so i also bought 24 swing top glass bottles.
My question is.. When i am ready to bottle the beer, do i still add the sugar to the bottom of the bottles as they are glass bottles..
I really dont want floods of beer in my house if i add sugar to glass bottles.. lol
Any help would be greatly appreicated..
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Welcome, plastic bottles used now comply with high requirements and are food grade PET plastic the same as spring water etc comes in, but if you do prefer glass there are a few types to choose from. Whether you use glass or plastic they must be capable of withstanding pressure (wine style bottles are no good). To carbonate the beer or lager a little sugar needs adding to each bottle, or priming drops are available which are quick and easy; 
    http://www.home-brew-online.com/brewing-sugar-c53/maxale-maxale-priming-drops-p1473
    It is important not to add too much sugar and over-prime the bottles as it would build up too much pressure, as a very rough guide for 500ml bottles a part or level teaspoon for beers, and a little more for lagers and ciders depending on the level of carbonation required
  • Options
    DarranDarran Member Posts: 37
    Personally I quite like using a mixture of plastic and glass bottles, the plastic bottles mean I can gauge how much pressure is building up - if I think the plastic ones are starting to contain too much pressure that would be the time to drink the contents of the glass ones to stop them building up further pressure.