Options

Very Sour Brew on a Wheat Beer

Hi All,

Looking for some advice, I have been brewing a Wheat Beer where I have used 2 Briess LME Extract wheat tubs to brew with, I added a 500 gram bag of DME and have made up a batch of 23 litres/% Gallons added a hop infusion of Hallertau hops and added some Vanilla.....

Now I also brewed a parallel beer along side this from the Ultimate Brewery range {Wheat Beer} and after a 9 days in the tub that one had fermeted out and is now bottled it tasted fine.....

The Briess Brew tasted super sour...... so I left it to ferment some more the airlock was still bubbling .....Its now been in the tub for two weeks still has some airlock activity I tasted it again today and its still sour......

My worry is it has an infection I have given the brew a stir today and put it back to its resting point....opening Gravity was 10.51 current gravity is 10.10.......

I also used Saf Wheat Yeast on the brew...... and bottled spring water.......

I wont dump it just yet I have seen around the net that it could improve but its so sour right now its hard to swallow it......

Any Advice at all I am open to..... 

~X(

Comments

• Options
    HowardHoward Member Posts: 62

Well I think its finished Fermenting so now I will have to make a decision on bin it or bottle it.......

To Bin or not to Bin that is the question....

Oh to hell with it its going in the bottles and then I will put it away for 4 weeks and we will see how it pans out.....

:(
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    In the early stages brews can have strange tastes and smells, and they can often be nothing like what they will turn out like once conditioned, as you say bottle it and prime it and leave it out of the way for a good few weeks and then have a sample, the flavours should then be developing properly. If the smell or taste was very vinegary then this can be a sign it has become contaminated, this can happen occasionally unfortunately, if it is contaminated then it cannot be salvaged, but don't mix a strange taste or smell early on with it being contaminated as many brews really change once bottled and conditioned
  • Options

It smells okay to be honest it just tastes soured, I am not sure if it is as bad as it was a couple days ago but could be wishful thinking, to be honest it does taste better than petrol when I syphoned it today....

HA HA HA

Its bottled up now so will leave out for a few days to settle and then box up for a month.....

• Options

Having now found the Briess website and looked at recipe guides they have I have a idea I should of cooked it out a little longer so could be a contributing factor......

it is beginning to clear in the bottles however boxing it today......

• Options
    Its still sour but not anywhere near as bad I will retry this end of september