Options

Gone with the wheat

green0green0 Member Posts: 19
Anyone used these kits? I'm into day 14 now its still bubbling away in the bin and getting a bit impatient tbh. The temp is 20 if I'm reading it right.

This is only my third batch so very inexperienced in this brewing lark and the others all took longer than stated on the instructions but this ones going on a bit

the hydrometer started at 1040 and is now at 1020

Ta

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Just found this-

So I guess patience is the key, not sure how to judge when will be best to add finings though as I haven't used them before.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2014
    The GWTW kits have been noted as being slow by a few people who have brewed them, so this is nothing to worry about and is just a case of waiting unfortunately. If it was a few degrees warmer it may help it ferment a little quicker, but just leaving it will allow it to finish off the process. If you do decide to use finings to help it clear then add them once it has stopped fermenting and the hydrometer reading is constant, we don't think they say to use them in the instructions but it would help it clear faster, but it may also mean it takes longer to carbonate once bottled
  • Options
    So its still bubbling slowly reading about 1014, but am still a bit concerned, does it ever go off at this stage and how would i know??

Not 100% it smells good but its bound to smell different due to different ingredients i suppose.
  • Options
    You're right they do smell and taste a little different as they are made form different ingredients, it will just ferment nice and slowly and there shouldn't be any problems with it. Whilst the yeast is active it will help to stop any problems with contamination, this si why you should add the yeast as soon after mixing as possible and let it start fermenting
  • Options
    HBO_Staff said:
    You're right they do smell and taste a little different as they are made form different ingredients, it will just ferment nice and slowly and there shouldn't be any problems with it. Whilst the yeast is active it will help to stop any problems with contamination, this si why you should add the yeast as soon after mixing as possible and let it start fermenting
    Ok Ta  think its starting to slow now, might transfer it to another container before I bottle it as it seems quite sedimenty.
  • Options
     Have now transferred it to another vessel which i guess was the right thing as the sediment was right up to the tap and it would have ended up in the bottles.
     Trouble is my second fermenting bin doesn't have a tap which would mean siphoning into the bottles which I'm not over confident with, so can I give it a couple of days then transfer it back to the original vessel with tap before bottling or am I mucking about too much? 

Also hydrometer reading 1012 now Any idea what I should be aiming for?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    That's probably best, make sure the vessel is clean and syphon back into the first vessel now, then leave it to settle for a couple of days and check the reading, if it is then ready it can be bottled using the tap and will be much easier. Depending on which GWTW you have it is usually around 1.010 or below for bottling
  • Options
    OK ta back in the original vessel now and have added the finings which were mentioned in the instructions so should be fine, will bottle up tomorrow.

Its the cheq pilsner (or however you spell it) and reading 1010 now so will see how it turns out in a few weeks and let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    All bottled now and handed over to my coeliac friend so she can complete the 2nd stage, I reckon I got just under 20l in the end with all the sediment, will let you know if I get a taste in a month or so see how it turns out.
  • Options
    It was revolting, opened two of the bottles and neither had any fizz in nor did they taste particularly nice so not much of a success really, bit embarrassing considering they were a gift.
  • Options
    HowardHoward Member Posts: 62
    Shame on the brew, I have not used that brand myself, the joy of brewing is you can never be totally sure how it will turn out I have had the same two beers brewed alongside each other and turned out really differently....