Options

Ello

green0green0 Member Posts: 19
Hi all

New here and new to brewing (3rd batch almost ready for bottling) so if someone could let me know how important it is to steralise the bottles now I'm reusing them. I'm giving them a good wash and scrub with fairy liquid and was hoping that would be enough.

ta 

kev

Comments

• Options
    DarranDarran Member Posts: 37
    I am new as well so date anything I say lightly until someone more experienced comes along ;-)

From what I hear using detergents not meant for brewing can be bad, I know the Coopers kits all warn against it.

For my main equipment I am using a Bleach solution and a lot of rinsing, but for my bottles I am using the no rinse sanitiser HBO sell.  I make up 10 litres of solution with 6 tea spoons of the powder and sterilise my bottles that way.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Sterilising is very important in home brew, whilst using cleaning products may be OK we recommend using a proper cleaner to be on the safe side, if the brew became contaminated it would be a real shame after the time and effort taken to brew. With new bottles you may risk just rinsing (although we have to advise against this in case it goes wrong) but with anything that has been used it is best to ensure it is fully clean, using either a steriliser which must be rinsed such as VWP, or a non-rinse cleaner such as BrewSafe or similar. All the experts say not to risk it and clean everything that will come into contact with your brew thoroughly, it's best to be on the safe side
  • Options
    green0green0 Member Posts: 19
    Yep ta, had resigned myself to sterilizing as well anyway, deffo should have rinsed the bottles immediately after drinking too  

you live and learn
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Giving them a rinse out after pouring does remove any sediment whilst it is soft, it then makes cleaning them much easier before you next use them, if you remember it is a good idea