Options

When is a closed FV required

Hello, I have recently purchased a Coopers DIY kit and have just ordered my next batch from HBO - I am hoping to make different beers and ciders and have a quick question.

Are there beer / cider types that must be fermented (only talking about the first stage) in a closed FV with airlock?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2014
    Beers, lager and ciders are generally the same for brewing, you can either brew with or without an airlock, it is personal preference. Many people including us brew with the vessel lid loosely fitted, this keeps anything out and is a common way of brewing. You can use an airlock if you vessel has a hole and seal in the lid, just half fill it with water and pop it into the grommet or bung. The idea is that gases created can escape by bubbling through if needed (not all brews will make it bubble) but the water stops air from entering. Some starter kits come with an airlock, others don't (including expensive kits such as the Milestone), whether brewing with or without an airlock it is best to cover the vessel to keep any contaminants out, if brewing without then don't fully seal the lid all the way around or any CO2 created may build up pressure as it has nowhere to escape. Some recipes will clearly state not to use an airlock, this is often with vigorous fermentations such as turbo yeast which will create a lot of froth and foam and needs to be able to vent quickly and an airlock may clog up or be forced out
  • Options
    DarranDarran Member Posts: 37
    Thank you very much, as this kit has a Krausen Collar the lid is currently clipped to it but close to the edge I can smell the contents of the FV so it is not air tight - if there was any pressure build up I would also expect the whole collar assembly to raise and that isn't happening so sounds good.

I will not disturb it now as tomorrow the collar comes off and the lid is then just rested on the FV.

Time to start planning what else I can brew in this, and finding space in cupboards to hold bottles ;-)