Options

Ultimate Brewery Classics The German Pilsner

HowardHoward Member Posts: 62

This Pilsner Lager is the third in the series I have used in the Range and so everything went smoothly in the opening brew down and I had no accidents, along the way, I had a opening Hydrometer reading of 10.45 so this should be a nice session style drinking beer…….. by Brew Day 7  I decided to add the filings to the brew and the temp was holding at 22 degrees…..

On Brew Day 8  I took a hydro reading and it was at a solid 10.10 and the temp was still at 22 degrees…The following day I still had a 10.10 reading so decided to bottle it.

I used two Carbonation drops for each 500 ml bottle, I did have to change the Fermentation tub though as my bottler was not compatible with the spigot so syphoned out the brew in my old tub which came with my bottler and then managed a seamless bottling of 37 bottles ...... it appears to be super clean so far so very hopeful on this one, I will do a taster on the weekend.......

I am wondering if I should always now syphon into a clean tub for all my brews before bottling begins ....... could it help with filtering the brew a little more I am guessing  ?

I will update after tasting this on the weekend.....

Cheers

Tony

:-B

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Tony, sounds good, one technique that is sometimes used is to ferment in one vessel, then at the end of fermentation carefully syphon over into a second vessel leaving the sediment behind into a vessel with a little bottler fitted already, leave to settle for another day or two, then bottle from there. This means you have left more sediment behind as it will have settled out of the brew, and will result in less sediment in the bottles. The downside however is that if there is less yeast suspended in the liquid it will take the priming sugar longer to secondary ferment in the bottles, meaning it can take longer to carbonate and condition - although not a problem if you will be leaving a good few weeks before drinking
  • Options
    dbg400dbg400 Member Posts: 3
    I tried this brew back in November. It's not my usual style, so i wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised by the results (using the two vessel bottling method mentioned above). What surprised me even more was tasting some bottles I had put in the fridge after priming was finished, but (fortunately) didn't get round to drinking until recently. They were quite different in character to the same bottles put in the fridge later on, so that initial secondary conditioning obviously likes the cold for this beer.

Only two bottles left now, so I now have the dilemma of choosing between another of the same or something new!
  • Options
    That's great to hear, we're looking forward to trying ours even more now! We have made the cheaper Better Brew Export Lager with a kg of brew enhancer before, after a good few weeks in the bottles it turned out really well, and tastes amazing served chilled;

• Options

I have tasted this and its going to be very nice I had nice carbonation and mouth feel it has a dry fresh taste and its still so young in its development ....

Rest assured if you want lager then this is going to be the kit I get again and again its a winner....image

• Options

Quick update

I let my wife try this Pilsner and she said that it reminded her of when she used to drink Pils and Black but this could be drunk without the Blackcurrant..... very nice indeed.....

We will retry this in two weeks time.....

:D
  • Options
  • Options
    Had one of these yesterday and it was excellent ..... So impressed with this Lager.....It  just gets better and better.......
  • Options
    That's great, this range is really loved by those who try it, we sampled one last night too by coincidence, this one had too much fizz though as we had accidently primed this one bottle twice - it had bulged quite badly and was being stored out of the way as we knew it had accidently had far too much priming sugar! The pressure was too much but the lager is coming along in taste nicely, should be just great with a BBQ on a summers evening
  • Options
    Now into the middle of June and everyone that trys this brew are super impressed, Its a fine beer easy drinker and I will be brewing this again....
  • Options
    Praise indeed, that's excellent it is being so well recieved