Options

fermentation question

HI all ,
I'm new to the forum (which is really great and very informative) and home brewing , I have recently started my first lager home brew and have a question on when to transfer it into my keg and bottles , it has been fermenting approx 12 days now and the airlock is still bubbling about once every 5 mins , the question is should i leave it until it stops bubbling completely before transferring it to my keg etc or would it be ok to transfer it in the next couple of days ?.

Thanks in advance for any replies

best regards SS

Comments

• Options
    steviesplashsteviesplash Member Posts: 3
    Also , I have some finings but am not really sure when to use these , is it best to put them into the FV before I transfer it and leave it a couple of days ,? Do i stir them in as i'm worried about air getting into the brew ?

thanks again ss
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It is always best to wait for any bubble to stop coming form the brew, it shows it is still fermenting and creating CO2. Fermentation times can really vary particularly with temperature, leave it a bit longer to be sure and if you have one take a couple of hydrometer readings as this will confirm if it is still fermenting and how low the reading is. 
    With finings it is best to add at the end of fermentation, gently stir in to mix, and then leave to work for a couple of days. It will mix up the brew when you stir so a couple of days will allow the sediment to re-settle before then transferring to bottles or a barrel
  • Options
    steviesplashsteviesplash Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Guys thats really helpful , the brew nots bubbling now so I'll leave it a bit to make sure,then add the finings !! .

Cant wait to bottle and try a little .,
    :\">