Options

John bull

I have had a John bulls 40 pint mix in secondary for 2 months I had found lids a bit loose after 3 weeks so I tightened them and left to condition I tried one last night as soon as you open it you smell yeast first sip is yeasty but then no flavour a tad vinegary is it lost

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It may well just be that the beer has not been able to secondary ferment and carbonate as they were not airtight, once bottled they must be sealed. The priming sugar then ferments and creates pressure in the bottles and the beer will then clear and carbonate, and the best flavours will develop. Certain smells and flavours are present in the early stage, however if it has very strong and unpleasant smell and taste, then it may have become contaminated. We would suggest leaving and the beer will hopefully sort itself out. If the priming sugar created CO2 which then escaped it may be worth adding a little more sugar to the bottles and then sealing to re-prime them, the danger though is that if this then over-primed the bottles it would cause them to be over-pressurised, so it may be safer to just leave them sealed and see if they pressurise the bottles and carbonate