Options

Simple Stout

Just tried my simple stout brewed on the 24th November and bottled on the 7th December.
It has a metallic taste. Did i leave it to long in the fermenter. or am I trying it to soon. I used Cooper carbonation drops in 500ml bottle. Did  do something wrong. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It may well not taste right just yet, a stout can take longer to condition, especially at a colder time of year. Leaving it too long in the fermenter will not usually do any harm, it may impart flavours if left for a long time, but is not usually an issue. Once bottled, especially with the drops, ideally leave in a warm room around 20 degrees C for say 5 days to allow the sugars to dissolve and begin secondary fermentation, then move somewhere a little cooler if possible, around 14 degrees C and it will clear and condition. It ideally needs to be left for a good few weeks away from direct sunlight or UV, and this is when it will properly carbonate and the best flavours will begin to develop. We suggest leaving it in the bottles to condition, and try again in a few weeks time, and the flavours will have improved
  • Options
    Sparky2045Sparky2045 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help. I will leave it for a little longer. Looking forward to brewing the Simple Yorkshire Bitter ...