Options

Hello all. New to HBO & with a question

Been lurking about here for a time & decided to join. 

I have purchased a Coopers DIY brewer which contains a lager beer kit, I plan to make my first brew by the book but I have one question, I have 3# of Briess pale dry malt extract, would it be OK to add some to this brew & if so how much?  This is the only part that would change the kit period.  After reading for weeks about this kit I think I am ready as soon as the weather settles some, to much fluctuation in temperature this time of year here.  I used to do some brewing several decades ago but now that I am retired I have a little more time to dedicate.

Thanks for any input

okie1

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Welcome! The Coopers are popular and you can change the recipe if you prefer, they vary but usually the Coopers Lager needs 1kg of sugar or enhancer adding. If you prefer to use the Briess Malt Extract then you could experiment by adding a 1.5kg tub instead of the sugar/enhancer. It will change the flavour from the standard, but many people do add malt extract instead of sugar. If you have a spot where you can brew at around 20 degrees C or so that is usually ideal, preferably not much below 18 degrees C, at the colder end of the scale the fermentation can take longer