Options

Malt extract

I am thinking of trying to brew a lager. A few people who have said they do home brewing reckon I will not need to use malt extract. Just the kit can that it comes in and the sugar is this right or are they full of it not sure what to think so thought I would ask about it.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited December 2013
    If making a beer or lager from a single refill tin/pouch it usually needs adding to with sugars at the start, which then all ferment. The instructions for a particular refill kit may specify one or the other, but you can add either sugar, brewing sugar, brew enhancer, spraymalt or malt extract, the better the ingredients though, the better the end result will be, enhancer or malts will give the finished brew more body, flavour and head. 

The more expensive ingredients often come with 2 tins/pouches, and usually need nothing more adding to ferment.

For the cheaper kits which need sugars adding, often 1kg, we recommend brew enhancer as it is in the middle price wise, and we find it gives improved results over ordinary sugar