Options

Cerveza ready for bottling?

sbear8sbear8 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2013 in Beer Brewing
Hello all,

I am a fairly new home brewer and have a Mexican cerveza on the go. The first fermentation was supposed to take 4-6 days but I'm now on day 10 as mine has been consistently at the lower end of the recommended temperature (18-19 degrees). I have had two successive hydrometer readings of 1.008 - will a third matching reading mean its ready to bottle? The pack says it should hit 1.006.

PS. I always seem to be battling low temperatures so I'm asking for a heating device for Christmas

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The cooler end of the temperature range will mean increased times, but if the third reading is the same then it's bottling time as this is really close to what the manufacturers suggest. Sometimes it wont drop these last couple of points, and a slow ferment is no bad thing as it can produce some great flavours in your brew
  • Options
    shinnstershinnster Member Posts: 18
    i have done mexican cerveza twice now, and both times it stopped at 1.008, and not the 1.006 that the packet suggested. so as mentioned above, if the third reading is the same i'd go for bottling it up :)