Options

SMELLY CIDER

four days ago I put down cider with twenty kg of juiced apples a brigalow cider can 750 grams of sugar and a k1-1116 yeast it smells like ass lol and there is a very strong fizzing coming from the fermentor and bubbling every two seconds, i'm worried due to having to juice the apples it wasn't very sterile and it may be infected but witht the high achole content id hope it would kill anything including a small elephant lol any ideas how long I should leave it for? or any other advice would be great. cheers

Comments

• Options
    thelithuanianthelithuanian Member Posts: 7

And now it has viturally stopped bubbling confused?

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The rate and speed of fermentation is hard to predict with fruit, it depends on a few things including the sugar content and the temperature etc. It may be that the sugar you added rapidly fermented away and now it will slowly continue to ferment on the juice, try and keep it around 20 degrees C or so to help the yeast. It can take quite a few weeks to ferment your apple juice, the only true way to know how it's doing and monitor the progress is with a hydrometer and take regular readings, the reading should continue to lower until it is nice and low and then stops all together