Options

Father Hook's Best

MouldyMouldy Member Posts: 10
Hi guys and girls, first post so be gentle!
Bought a kit the other week which included a Festival kit of Father Hooks Best. Have followed the instructions to the letter but I am a little concerned that it is not fermenting. My thought process is thus, if it is fermenting then it would give off a gas which would make the airlock bubble away. However the 'action' in the airlock is virtually non existent, even after eight days.

After ten days I am instructed to move the brew from the fermenting bin into the keg and add the last ingredient of a packet of sugar. Once in the keg I have no visual indication of whats happening, (if anything).

So has anyone got any experience of this particular brew?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Welcome! It does make a great brew we've tried it here, if you have a hydrometer take a reading as this is the only true way to know if it has fermented, often airlocks don't bubbel for various reasons. We have a bit more info here;

The hydrometer reading should be nice and low, the main thing to check is the temperature as this is often the main factor in the speed of fermentation. Let us know how you get on

• Options
    Thanks for the reply, and the welcome!

I've kept the temp between 22-24, to be honest I've been a bit OCD with this!

Interesting link, thanks. Ill check the SG with the hydrometer, did this at the start and it was 36.
  • Options
    Just checked the SG and its dropped from 36 to 10 so I guess something is happening in there after all!

So tomorrow is the day I am supposed to move the brew into the keg. it is then supposed to be left for 14 days at around 20-25 degree's. Then it is moved to a cooler darker area, (that's the shed then!) and left for as long as required, (the longer the better, which is fine because it is supposed to be for Christmas!).

So how do I know whats happening in the keg? Or is it a case of you just find out at the end?
  • Options
    Once in the keg it is sealed up and will clear, carbonate and condition, it can be left and just needs patience until it's ready to drink!
  • Options
    Ta muchly, quite excited now! :)
  • Options
    Siphoned into the keg today and added the priming sugar. Keg now sat on the heat pad at around 22deg.

Smelt good, looked good and pretty clear as well. I take it that the only way I can test the SG now is to draw some off? Opening the top will let all the gasses go so don't really want to do that!
  • Options
    Once kegged the gravity reading wont change much as it has finished it's fermentation. The sugar you primed the barrel with will secondary ferment and increase the strength a little, but it is usually only around 100g or so that is added at that stage. You could draw some off and test it, but once barrelled this is not normally done as the reading wont change much
  • Options
    Ah, so does that mean I should have left it to ferment for longer before kegging?
  • Options
    It just needs to have finished fermenting before transferring to a barrel or bottles, the hydrometer reading needs to be as low as it will go and constant for a couple of days
  • Options
    In that case I may have gone too early. Instructions said keg after ten days of starting which is what I did. Had only taken one hydrometer reading so although I know the starting SG was 36 and the reading I took a day before kegging was 10 I have no idea if the reading was steady or not. Ooops!

What effect will this have on the finished product?
  • Options
    If kept at the recommended temperature it will probably have been ready, if kegged too early and it had not completed fermentation it may continue to create CO2 which will build up pressure in the barrel. Luckily with it being a barrel it can vent any excess pressure if needed, just keep a check on it to be sure. Taking a final hydrometer reading is a good precaution to be sure, and also gives a final gravity reading to work out the alcohol content if needed, but it is not essential and the kit instructions are usually a good guide
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance.

Again, according to the instructions it should be ready next weekend, so I may try it and report back. The brew is for Christmas though so the taster will be just that, a taster! Next weekend the keg will go out to the cool of the shed and stay there for a few weeks.
  • Options
    Ok, reporting back.

It would appear to have failed. Just taken a hydrometer reading and it is still at 10, so if I'm reading it correctly there is no alcoholic content. I had to fit a gas cartridge to draw anything off and to be honest it tastes disgusting. totally flat, (although the keg tap does produce a head), watery with a very strong bitter, (and I mean really bitter!), after taste.

Not sure where it all went wrong to be honest. Followed the instructions to the letter, was scrupulously clean, (sterilised all equipment before using with quite often a stronger liquid then suggested), so I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm also more then a little disappointed!
  • Options
    1.010 is a nice and low reading, this is a good sign it has fermented properly as it would have started much higher than this. As long as you used the right amount of water, then the brew will turn out very close to what the manufacturers state in strength, as the sugars have turned to alcohol. Once barrelled and primed with a little sugar, it needs to be left somewhere warm to help the priming sugar to dissolve, then if needed can be moved somewhere a bit cooler to condition. This is when the carbonation will develop and the proper flavours, and it will also clear. It varies how long it need sin the barrel but a good few weeks will help it improve and develop it's full flavour, early on it will not taste too good. 

We suggest leaving in the barrel out of daylight (covered if needed) for a few weeks, make sure the barrel is sealed and airtight, and it will probably develop nicely and carbonate. The barrel must be fully airtight though. If it is cloudy now it is a good sign it is not yet ready and needs leaving to condition, and if the beer is flat it is a sign it either needs longer to carbonate or the barrel is not fully airtight
  • Options
    Definitely the right amount of water, no doubt about that.

Have re read the hydrometer instructions and if I have it right this time there is an alcoholic content of 3.3

I was very careful with temps early on, and the keg is now outside in a dark place and has been for just over a week. I'm pretty sure the keg is airtight, although when I fitted the gas cartridge there was a hissing sound. This could have just been the pressure relief valve though as the keg is still full.

The beer I drew off at the weekend was not fully clear but certainly not what I would call cloudy.

Instructions state about four weeks from start to finish and its now been down for six. I guess though that this is not set in stone?

Thanks for the replies so far.

• Options
    Exactly, time is needed for most brews to be at their best, it will usually fully clear and carbonate properly if left, and the best flavours will develop