Options

cider smell

dave1970dave1970 Member Posts: 10
edited October 2011 in Cider Making
hi,ive just started my 2nd batch of cider.its been fermenting for 4 days and ive noticed a bad smell,like sulfer.
i didnt have this smell with the first batch,and its the same make off cider.will the smell go or is there something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    hi dave1970. Ive had a few cider kits that have smelled like sulphur/eggy while fermenting (some kits more than others even though they're the same brand) and they turned out fine. I'd let it finish its first stage of fermentation, then when its time to barrel or bottle it have a little taste. If it tastes alright then you have nothing to worry about and the smell will eventually go. Also remember to take your hydrometer reading to see if its fermented completely. Hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out.
  • Options
    hi,i havent got a hydrometer,just a bubble thing in the lid.
    checked it today and the smell is still there but no where near as bad.should be ready to bottle sat or sunday.
    i started fermenting the cider last friday.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    that sounds promising, hope it turns out well for you. i like the finlandia cider myself, that has the same kind of reaction. the first one i did was worryingly smelly but turned out great.

hydrometers are a handy device. they are a good way to know when 1st stage of fermentation is done and also work out what the ABV % of your brew is. not essential though, you can do just fine without one. sounds about right to bottle sat or sunday. i usually do it with in 5 or 7days with cider and just check its still not bubbling away. let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    hi,a friend of mine did the finlandia cider,tryed to make 40 pints but it all went down the drain cos he said it
    was too watery.
    i,m bidding on ur used 5g keg on ebay at the mo.the next batch i make will go in there,if i win it.
    after the cider has fermented, and ive racked it of to the keg, how long should i leave it before i can drink it?
    and how much suger should i add to the keg to make a fizzy cider?
  • Options
    sorry for late reply dave, its been busy hear at HBO. i made my finlandia to the 32 pint recipe and it was lovely. i usually make all my kits with less water than instructed.

good luck on the aution for the barrel. i would leave it for at least 3 weeks and would use about 80 to 90 grams of sugar for priming. if you use a barrel remember to lube up the seals on your barrel, you want it to stay air tight as possible or your cider will become flat in no time.
  • Options
    cheers for the reply.
    its pear cider (just bought from u guys) that will be going into the barrel.
    what should i use to lube up the seals in the barrel?
  • Options
    petroleum jelly is the best thing to use like vaseline or something similar.
  • Options
  • Options
    baitmasterbaitmaster Member Posts: 2
    I just used the Magnum kit from here, had the same outcome, Strange sulphur smell at first, but went after approx 2 weeks. Now have some lovely home-made cider, really tasty