Options

fuggles hops

can anyone help,is 50gr fuggles hops to much for an English bitter? and how long does it last in the sealed packets if it has no packaged date? I havnt used fresh hops before and would love some advice

Comments

• Options
    thelithuanianthelithuanian Member Posts: 7
    also I have put two carb drops in a 568ml bottle will they explode,they are a coopers larger with a brew enhancer and half kilo of malt bottled after three weeks? im a little concerned
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If the lager was finished fermenting then adding 2 carbonation drops per 500ml bottle is fairly standard for lagers. If you're concerned store them out of the way where damage can't occur, but usually this is OK. The hops can be stored sealed for a while, sometimes people use dried hops in vac-packed sealed packs as they store well, you can make a brew with the hops which will infuse the flavour, experiment to get it how you want it, the flavour of the hops can be changed by the amount of time you leave them in the brew, or the quantity, depending on the strength wanted
  • Options
    thelithuanianthelithuanian Member Posts: 7

am I best boiling hops with the wort say half for flavour then add the rest in at the end of the boil for bitterness,i hear so many different variations its hard to decide lol thanks for the advice.

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    As a general guide if you add hops early on and boil then it will add bitterness, if you add the hops later then that gives more aroma and flavour. Many people add the 'finishing' hop teabags to kits at the end for the flavour and aroma