Options

Coopers Mexican cerveza

Just bought the coopers Mexican kit, it says use brew enhancer kit 2 but some people use kit 1 Which is best ?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Coopers recommend Enhancer 2 but you could use either, as a general guide Enhancer 2 is for a maltier flavour, Enhancer 1 is for lighter styles such as lagers. It's personal preference and best results will be achieved using an enhancer instead of sugar, whichever you choose. Most UK customers would probably assume Enhancer 1 with is being a lighter style brew
  • Options
    MreddsterMreddster Member Posts: 60
    If you want a more refreshing beer. Use enhancer 1. Both work fine tho :)
  • Options
    garyfentimangaryfentiman Member Posts: 19
    Cheers just used no.1 I let you know how it turns out
  • Options
    I have a batch ready to bottle this weekend using the same :) enjoy
  • Options
    shinnstershinnster Member Posts: 18
    i used brew enhancer 2 with mine,as that was recommended on the page I bought the Beer from. Next time I may try number 1 and see if there is much difference.
  • Options
    Just touching on this again.
    Tried a bottle tonight and there is no carbonation :( only a week and half in bottle but usually it had something by now!

Any ideas? Used one and half carbonation drops as I have in the past. In 500ml Coopers plastic bottles.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    This becomes more common as the temperature drops, the time for secondary fermentation increases. If possible keep the bottles warm for a few days, ideally 20 degrees C or so which helps the drops to dissolve and start secondary fermentation more quickly. They can then be moved somewhere a few degrees cooler to help them clear. This should do the trick. If using a heater tray the bottles could be stood on there for a couple of days, and you will be able to feel the bottles become hard to the touch as pressure builds up.
    Ironically the more sediment you leave behind by careful filtering (so you end up with a clear finished beer), the less yeast is suspended in the bottled beer, which then means the secondary fermentation can take longer
  • Options
    shinnstershinnster Member Posts: 18
    Hey Mreddster

I just finished my first batch of this and it took mine 7 weeks till it was carbonated sufficiently, that was also repriming after 5 weeks due to it still being flat :-/
    Mine was in a 23 litre barrel though so hopefully yours will be quicker than that!

it did end up nice though and am about to buy anoother batch of the same stuf! gonna try the brew enhancer 1 this time though, see if there is much difference.

hope yours ends up nice!
  • Options
    Cheers for replies guys.
    The bottles are at 21deg in my utility room.
    The beer is crystal clear right enough so that makes sense.
    Bottles feel hard so was confused when they weren't carbonated.

Last time I did this brew it was mega fizzy so not sure what's different.

Only thing i can think of that idid different is I left it in fermenter for a few days longer than normal as I was away. Could that make a difference? I'm guessing that's why it's so clear this time at least.
  • Options
    If I inverted the bottles so the sediment at the bottom got moved around would that help?
  • Options
    We'd suggest just leaving it for longer, if it is clearer and you left it longer before bottling then that suggests that more suspended yeast will have dropped out. The end result is clearer but with less suspended yeast it may take longer to fully carbonate. It will be worth it though
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok is been another couple of weeks ago tried one tonight. We have progress :D
    Its getting there, so another few weeks and it will be right I think!
  • Options
    Great news, it will get better and better, we made it a while ago and it was very popular!
  • Options
    garyfentimangaryfentiman Member Posts: 19

Hi mine have been in the bottle now for 4 weeks and the bottles are still a little soft to touch i did put in to second vessal to settle a bit more before bottling then into 500ml bottles with 2nr carbonation drops,

can the bottles be reprimed or do I just leave it for longer ( might tr opening a bottle to check )

• Options
    That is the right amount of carbonation drops, if it was allowed to settle more this makes the finished result clearer, but increases the time for the carbonation as there is less yeast suspended in the brew to work on the priming sugar. It will take longer, but if you keep them somewhere a little warmer, perhaps early 20 degrees C for a few days this may speed it up a bit for you, then move somewhere a few degrees cooler to help it clear