Options

Cider yeast

Hi There

Just did our first apple pressing on sunday,i am new to this brewing,added the campden tablets on sunday waited 24hrs before adding the yeast(wine yeast W0094 recommended by VIGO).

Added the yeast to some warm juice and added it to the fermitator and fitted airlock.

Checked it this morning nothing is happening,its been in there 17 hours roughly,am i being to keen

Checked vigo's website regarding using the yeast it stated follow instructions on yeast packet,there is nothing on the packet,checked the manufacturers web site,there is nothing on this either,www.ritchieproducts.co.uk.

I am just worried about losing the juice we pressed.

Some advice would be very helpful

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It can really vary on how long before you see it fermenting, often depending on temperature, the strain of yeast, and the sugar content etc. Cider can be a slow fermentation taking a few weeks, and chances are it will get going. If there is no sign of anything after 48 hours or so then there may be an issue, but keep an eye on it and see how it goes. 

One thing to bear in mind with the yeast, the juice you added to it must only be warm and not hot, as the high heat could kill the yeast, but warm would be OK. Check the liquid for small bubbles rising to the surface rather than wait for the airlock to bubble, as the airlock may take some more time to build up full pressure or may not bubble at all with a slow ferment. If you have a hydrometer then taking readings will give the most accurate sign of progress and is the best way to tell how the fermentation is going if not sure - the readings will decrease as it ferments the sugars in the juice 
  • Options
    TOMPUTTTOMPUTT Member Posts: 4

Hi thank you for reply,

The sg was 1040 prior to adding the yeast.

I added the yeast to some warm juice,was not sure how long to leave it so i added the solution after about twenty minutes.

Think i might be panicking over nothing

Thank you so much for your reply

TOMM PUTT

• Options
    It all sounds to be right so far, the yeast should start to do work and you may see the reading on the hydro begin to lower, but don't fiddle with it too much as every time you open it up or place the hydrometer in it you risk contamination
  • Options

Hi again HBO,checked the cider again tonight.it has been 48hrs since adding the yeast.

Nothing is happening,i checked the sg and it is reading 1040 the same as when i put the yeast in,you said in your last post the sg should drop if the fermention has started.

Really not sure what to do next,i have some more packets of yeast,is it worth puting another in to see if it was the yeast ?

Thank you for your help

• Options
    It could just be off to a slow start, adding another yeast wont do any harm, if you do then sprinkle it straight on to the surface of the liquid and give it a stir in to the brew, this will help it get to work. How much fermentation you will get depends on the sugars in the juice as it is this sugar which will ferment out. Yeast has the potential to be off or a 'duff' batch, however this is extremely rare and as long as it is in date and was sealed then in our experience problems with yeasts are next to non. Different yeasts also ferment in different ways, so you don't always see any action in the brew, we had a report just yesterday from someone making a Woodfordes kit which they believed had not started, but when they checked the hydro reading it was lower than Woodfordes say to aim for and was ready to bottle.

Perhaps try another yeast if no sign soon, and give it a stir, let us know how you get on
  • Options

Hi HBo sorry for the delay in my reply,

Got loads going on and unable to get to the PC

Something is happening,there are no bubbles entering the airlock but a kinda scum floating on the top of the brew.

I have tryed to upload a picture but can't seem to get the picture on to this page.

Would you say that sprinkling the yeast on the top is the best option rather than warming it in some juice ?

As if this is the case i will sprinkle in the frist place rather than warming the juice.

Thanks so much for your help,

Will keep you updated,thank you again

• Options
    The froth etc on the top is a great sign, it shows it is fermenting nicely. Signs of fermentation really vary, a bit more info is here;

Most yeast are fins just sprinkled on, others have specific instructions to mix with water and the temperature required, but usually sprinkle on the top and make sure it is in contact with the actual liquid, not just any froth, or give it a gentle stir in