Options

Just bottled a 7 day wine and it tastes strange but not like viniger ...

soswinemakingsoswinemaking Member Posts: 16
Hello all, I have just bottled my first ever batch of wine - it's a white 7 day wine kit from Cellar 7.  Everything seems to have worked on time, fermented well and cleared quickly.  However, when I bottled it I had a taste and found it to be a strong flavor, not vinegary but did not really taste right. I have continued to bottle the whole lot as I understand that it should improve with flavor but I am worried that I may just be wasting my time.  Can anyone make any suggestions as to whether I should keep the wine or throw away and move on?  Thanks for your help.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Steve, this is very common, the flavour could be a little unusual in the early stages, once bottled and left to condition it will take on it's proper flavour and develop. The longer you leave it the better the flavours become as they improve. Had the smell and taste being very bad then this can be a sign it is contaminated, but this does not sound like what you have here at all, we recommend you bottle it, leave it somewhere cool and dark, and leave it for a few weeks then give it a taste.

The Cellar 7 range is very popular and problems with it are almost unheard of, with absolutely loads of repeat customers, so we think you'll enjoy the finished result!
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments.  I will leave the bottles in a cool and dark place for a couple of weeks.  My next project is a gallon of Tangerine Wine made from natural ingredients rather than from concentrate - this should be interesting!
  • Options
    We'd love to hear more on that and how it turns out, if you get chance pop the recipe and your progress up on here please so others can see and follow it!
  • Options
    Just after a week of bottling the 7 day wine kit I HAD to see if it had improved - pleasantly surprised in that just in a week it had improved so much it's nice to smell and taste.  I am now really excited to taste it in a month or two!  Will certainly be buying a Cellar 7 concentrate again very soon - probably this month.
  • Options
    That's great, they are really good wine kits so we're pleased you like it, it will continue to improve if you can wait longer!