Options

primary fermentation

hi - I'm new to this lark. The instructions seem to suggest that things will self-destruct if the primary fermentation doesn't take place at a temperature of about 20 degrees C. At the moment, due to the hot weather, the temperature is showing 30 degrees C in the place where I'm storing it. Is this going to harm my beer or is it likely to be ok? Obviously the temperature will fall at night but I suspect it will still be quite warm.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi, the kits come with recommended temperature ranges from the manufacturers, but many home brewers do find it hard to keep the temperature down in hot weather. When fermenting if the temperature is on the hot side, it could potentially cause off flavours (although this is not very likely in most cases) or worst case the yeast could be killed off as it is only tolerant to certain temperatures. In some cases when the fermentation is a bit too high the initial fermentation can be really vigorous and it can sometimes froth like mad, so be sure it away from anywhere damage could occur in case the foam spills out of the vessel. 

Ideally keep it somewhere as cool as possible in hot weather, away from direct sunlight, and check it's progress by taking hydrometer readings to see when it has finished fermenting. 

It does happen all year round that brews get too hot, sometimes heating devices in winter warm the liquid too much if not checked, in some cases well over 30 degrees have been reported on this forum by members, but they all say the beer turned out fine in the end with no lasting harm as far as we know
  • Options
    cracketer8cracketer8 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for that - fermentation is going on now and you're right, it is very vigorous. It's been three days now so I guess it must be ready for drinking!
  • Options
    You wish! It may mean it reaches the end of fermentation a bit faster, check the readings to be sure with your hydrometer. Once bottled or kegged, a few days in the warmth will help your priming sugar dissolve and get secondary fermentation going, if it cools down that can help it clear, but if not don't worry, just keep it out of the way for it to develop it's full and best flavours, ideally in the dark or away from sunlight. Let us know how you get on
  • Options
    will do -I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet. I was going to do this in a couple of days time when it's getting near to the end of fermentation. Do you think i should take one now then?
  • Options
    Perhaps leave it until all signs of fermentation have stopped, then take one, and another reading 24 hours later and compare the two to see if it is constant, it should be at or below the guide given in the instructions (if they give one) and remain unchanged, this shows it has finished fermenting
  • Options
    thanks - if it goes ok will be getting another one going too, just for varieties sake so will be after a nice full bodied English ale.

• Options
    It will turn out great, for a full bodied English ale there are loads to choose from too, the St Peters Ruby is very popular and other options such as Muntons Old English may fit the bill, there are reviews on the listings which may help you to decide;