Options

Hydrometer

chubbschubbs Member Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in Welcome To The Forum
Hi, just bottled my first brew going really well an I no this may sound daft and maybe me being a little dense, but when I first started I wasn't sure when to do the hydro reading, before or after adding the yeast? I did it both and before got a really low reading on after got a really high one, I made sure it was the same for 2 days running before I bottled so I know I'm fine and it's clearing really well after just 24hrs and bottles getting hard to touch. Just not sure of the abv, I little nudge the wright direction would be greatly apreceated for my next brew which I'm really looking forward to starting in a few weeks.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Often people take the reading just before adding the yeast but the hydrometer works on the gravity reading which changes as it ferments, so a few minutes either way wont make any difference. It is important to make sure that the brew is well and evenly mixed and then note down the reading if wanting to work out the alcohol content at the end of fermentation. The reading will then slowly lower over the period of fermentation until it stops completely. Some kits give the estimated start and finish readings, but many are vague and don't give specifics
  • Options
    That's great thanks I got about 4.001 after adding the yeast and it didn't register on the hydro at all before I added it. I thought I'd mixed it well but obviously not enough. Every thing else has gon ok and I've bottled it and it's gone really clear after just 24 hrs. Gonna move in some whe cooler in a few days and leave it for a few weeks. Before i chill and drink it It's the coopers real ale kit. (does this sound ok?) My wife got me it in with the starter set from yourselfs thru eBay for my birthday gift along with a ginger beer kit hat I'm going to make when I start on my ale. Just with being my first time I wanted to make sure I hadn't boo boo'd Will try again on my next batch. The hydro reading at end of 1st fermentation went really well and no probs with bottling so everything else ok
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Everything sounds to be going well, we wouldn't worry about the strange reading, the kits are very constant and the end result will always be similar, sometimes things just don't look right for one reason or another. The Coopers Real Ale is a popular choice, a few days in the warm will help get the secondary fermentation going in the bottles, and then when moved somewhere a few degrees cooler it will clear and condition - this is when the full flavours develop so the longer you leave it the better. If you are able to then make the ginger beer it can then be bottled and stored for as long as possible too, if that is also the Coopers then it makes a fantastic ginger beer, we've made it a few times, great served nice and cold, but the the best flavours did take a few weeks to develop. The ginger beer sometimes stays a bit cloudy looking too, but the taste is really good
  • Options
    It's the simple ginger beer and going to make it as soon as I can, need to get more bottle fist. I have 21 spare as got another box when My wife got the kit for my 31st last month so either need to start drinking the ale or get more