Options

Can I use a sweetner?

paultait1985paultait1985 Member Posts: 4

Hi everyone. iv just brewed my very first wine kit (California Connoisseur Rose) and im at the stage where im ready to start bottling. bottles are all clean and ready but the wine is not as sweet as id like. Im thinking of adding sweetner to the bottling stage but im worried that this may cause the wine to either turn or become fizzy while in the bottles. Can I use a sweetner to sweetern the wine without making it fizzy if not what do you recommend?

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to your response  

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited May 2013
    Sweetening wine can be done to suit your taste if needed, just bear in mind that the flavour may change as it conditions in the bottles, so if it is stated as a sweet wine then it will probably turn out sweet, but some instructions do say to sweeten to taste. There is a wine sweetener available, but you only need a tiny bit per bottle, it's a case of add a tiny bit, then taste, then add more if needed as you cannot remove it once in the wine. The small one is £1.46 and will sweeten quite a bit; 
    If you have your own sweetener it will probably work in the same way, perhaps give it a try on a bottle and try it for taste