Options

Barrels without co2 stop flowing and just glug

Hi,

We are quite new to home brewing and are having a small problem, I have searched the site but cannot find answer so here goes.

We decided to use barrels without co2 injector as do not like fizzy beer, but after a couple of good barrels that worked all the way to the last drop, we are now having a problem where on 1st pour you get about half pint and it just stops flowing, and have had to open lid to get it flowing again, so pour off jug full and then next time have to do the same again, I know we are letting in bacteria and should not open lid but cannot figure out what is causing it.

We tried leaving it longer, no luck.

We tried tightening lid, and checking tightness every few days especially between warm room and changing to cold room , no luck.

The thing is some barrels are perfect, and the same barrel on next batch is as discribed above.

Any help on the subject gratefully received.

We really would prefer not to have to change to co2 injection.

Regards TriciaS.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi TriciaS, it sounds like you've checked a couple of the most important things, you know the barrel is sealed and airtight, there could be a couple of reasons for this. It can vary from beer to beer, and you do need to prime the barrel with at least some sugar to make the beer produce a little CO2 and pressurise the barrel. With a brew it can take a while to pressurise itself, and you may well notice a difference on how long it takes between different beers. As a general rule the barrel needs to be somewhere warm for the first few days/week, around 20 degrees or a little more, to help the sugars dissolve and get secondary fermentation going, then move somewhere a bit cooler while it clears and conditions. This is when the natural CO2 will be created and pressurise the barrel. Usually if drinking only a bit at a time it will just naturally re-pressurise, enough to keep it flowing. 

It is mainly the amount of sugar you add to the barrel which determines the carbonation, whilst the brew may absorb some CO2 from any gas injected, it will not particularly make it fizzy. For example, if you had a flat brew and wanted to make it fizzy, adding CO2 by injecting a bulb would not do it, the brew would come out under pressure and perhaps have an initial froth, but the CO2 would not mix in and make the brew itself fizzy in the same way as if you'd primed it with sugar when barrelling. 
  • Options
    TriciaSTriciaS Member Posts: 3

Hi,

Thanks for reply, I have followed recipes to the letter , and measure out the sugar exactly , and keep in warm room for at least 4 days before moving to cool room for a miimum of 2 weeks but just cannot understand why one barrel will work perfect and the next one as I said half a pint and it just stops or glugs as if it needs air injecting into it, when I loosen the lid and pour off a jug it is full of natural fizz but after retightening lid it again stops and glugs until I once again loosen the lid.

Do you think I just need to leave it longer. Although I do 2 batches at a time and it has twice been the second barrel that has been the problem one which has obviously been left longer.

Any other advice gratefully received.

Regards TriciaS.

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Because the second barrel has been left longer it would usually mean that the extra time would improve the pressure. Because it has natural fizz in it it would usually mean that the pressure is holding and that the priming sugar has done it's job. Is it the same barrel that causes the problem each time or a different barrel? This might help to rule the barrel in or out as a possible reason. There are a few things to check with the barrels which are on this link;
    A very small leak allowing the natural CO2 to escape as the pressure built up may be the reason, this could be from one of the points covered on the link. Another common problem is when the brew hasn't had long enough to pressurise and more time helps, but this doesn't sound like the case here. Some Vaseline on the thread of the barrel, checking the large white washer is in place, and the rubber 'band' on the top of the barrel lid is securely in place, and ensuring it is screwed down tight is wise, if you have a spare second white washer from another barrel to use temporarily to double up the washers, this may help to eliminate the white seal as a possible suspect, that has caused a problem before. 
  • Options
    TriciaSTriciaS Member Posts: 3

Thanks again for reply, I used vaseline on the white washer but not on the thread so will try that on next batch.

I have 6 barrels and it has been different ones with the problem each time so I presume it is the seal, I will buy some spare washers and double up to see if it helps.

Thanks again , I will update after next batch is ready.