Options

Priming an Entire Batch Rather Than Each Bottle

StormrageStormrage Member Posts: 2
I have read on various forums that some people recommend racking your finished beer into a clean fermenter that has the correct amount of sugar in it for priming, then mixing it well and bottling from there. Has anyone on here tried this? Are there any draw backs in using this method? It sounds much easier so I was thinking there must be a reason that it isn't the method that's recommended to newbies such as myself.

Cheers!
Ash

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

It is a common way of doing it, but the downside is that you need another vessel, and must make sure it is nice and clean to minimise the risk of contamination. It can be easier than priming each bottle, so you might ferment in one vessel, then transfer the brew leaving behind the sediment over to a second vessel with a little bottler already fitted, mix in the sugar, then fill your bottles from there.

Rather than adding granulated sugar to each bottle people often opt for carbonation drops simply because they are easy to use with no mess, and this is a convenient option