Options

Wine lacks body

My first wine kit, Beaverdale Rioja, has finished and been bottled. However, I feel that the wine seems to lack body, it tastes great, just a bit on the lightweight side if you know what I mean? I am wondering have I gone wrong somewhere or is this something that will develop with age? Or is it a caracteristic of the kit?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    You will often find that the flavours and body will continue to improve and develop if left in the bottles for a while, depending on how long it has been bottled it may be worth leaving it somewhere dark and cool for a while and taste it again
  • Options
    galvgatesgalvgates Member Posts: 9
    Thanks guys. It has only been in the bottles 4 days, I will give it a couple of weeks and try again.
    I am hoping that I mixed the concentrate with the water enough at the start, my reading before adding the yeast was 1077.
    I have started another kit and my reading this time is 1080.
  • Options
    It will also sort itself out whilst it ferments so don't worry too much, it will be much improved if left for a couple of weeks, 4 days is very early and it will lack body and depth of flavour in the early days. Many wines can be drank early on but will not be at their best so it's worth waiting if possible. Beaverdale are very good wines, but as with all wines they benefit greatly from being left as long as possible in the bottles, let us know how it goes on.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, I'll let you know in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, It has been almost 3 weeks since I bottled and I could not resist the temptation to open a bottle last night. Things have definately got better, the wine has more body and a great taste. The only thing thats worrying me now is the unpleasant smell that it has and a slight greasy looking film covers the top when in the glass. I decanted into a large glass jug and left it for an hour and the smell did subside. Could this be that I did not degas enough or have I introduced oxygen whilst degassing?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It could be down to it not being totally de-gassed and this can mean the finings don't work 100%, so it can result in the finings not removing everything, it's definitely worth making sure all the gases are removed, it's great news it's continuing to improve though
  • Options
    Thanks for the response guys.
    I have just filtered my second kit and have the same problem with the smell. There was no bad smell prior to filtering and I had really gone to town on the degassing this time. But the smell has appeared straight after filtering? any ideas as to what this might be?
  • Options
    We'll see what the suppliers have to say, is it a Beaverdale again?
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, yes it is a beaverdale, the second one I got from you- Chateau du roi- It now smells and tastes the same as the rioja I first made.
    Its a sweet taste with a peculiar smell (not rotten eggs though) that was not there prior to filtering with the vinbrite system.
    Its something to do with the filtering, could it be oxygen getting in? would that give off a smell?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The suppliers are happy to take a sample of the wine and look into this for you, they also suggest to check the filter has been thoroughly cleaned before use.  Although you may be using new pads each time, there could be some residual wine still in there somewhere, which has ‘gone off’ and is causing the problems. If you like we can give you a freepost address for you to send a sample in and they will look at the sample more closely for you and determine any problem
  • Options

Thanks Guys. I would like someone with a bit more experience than myself to take a look at the wines. Unfortunately I do not know anyone locally? if you can help there it would be great, failing that can you please let me have the address and an idea how to pack a sample. I do not have the batch numbers though!

The filter was brand new on the first batch and sterilized, and cleaned well for the second batch.

• Options
    If you let the suppliers take a look into it for you that will get you an answer, please send a sample of around 100ml (approx. quarter of a pint) to them in a small, sealed container (small PET plastic bottle or similar) well wrapped to;

Ritchie Products Ltd

FREEPOST RSES-RGUS-UASS

100-105 Victoria Crescent

Burton-on-Trent
    Staffs

DE14 2QF

If you can enclose your details within the parcel and they will get some answers for you