Options

Which Cider Kit To Buy?

ChrisAChrisA Member Posts: 21

So far I have a batch of Woodfordes Wherry conditioning nicely in a barrel and a “Better Brew Export Lager” currently fermenting that I am planning to bottle for the summer.

For my next brew I was considering a cider but I am a little put off as there seems to be a smaller selection available which made me question if its because they don’t turn out well?

The “Premium Gold - Autumn Blush Country Cider” seems to be an obvious choice and has four good reviews but I didn’t know if anyone could recommend a kit from personal experience?

I also would like to make it around 6 or 7 % ABV so wondered if adding additional brewing sugar to any kit at the fermentation stage would have this affect or does it have the tendency to just ruin the flavor?

Cheers Chris

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Ciders are now of a good quality with home brew, the reason for the smaller amount is probably that they are not as popular as beers and lagers, but they do still sell well, especially in summer. The flavoured ones such as On The Rocks are popular too. Some people comment they lack flavour sometimes, but this is certainly down to drinking too early before the flavours have properly developed. We've made a few including the Autumn Blush, it is more expensive but is very good. The John Bull is very popular as is the Finlandia, but you will probably find them all pretty good.

If you want to increase the stength, we suggest adding some extra sugar, but also reducing the amount of water - by doing a combination of these two things the strength will be increased, and by reducing the water it has the advantage of concentrating the flavour too. If you add too much sugar it will start to make it sweet

• Options
    ChrisAChrisA Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2013
    I think I will give the John Bull a try, but before I order it is there a particular cider which falls into the dry category as most of them say medium/dry?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    They do tend to be medium dry as you say, the Muntons Autumn Blush and the Brewmaker Deluxe Cider are perhaps the drier ones