Options

When To Attach The CO2 Bulb?

ChrisAChrisA Member Posts: 21

My first ever home brew batch (Woodfordes Wherry) has been conditioning in the pressure barrel for around two weeks and after sampling a half this evening it seems to be coming along nicely.

My question is when do I need to attach the cO2 bulb.

Is it after you have drank around 10 pints or just when it takes a long while to pour a pint?

Also I am assuming you just give it a short burst for a couple of seconds and take it off, or as they are small should I screw it down firmly and leave it?

Thanks Chris

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Chris, good news on your first batch, give it a bit longer, ideally a few weeks, and the flavours will improve further, although it's hard to wait! The CO2 bulbs are screwed down using the bulb holder and will inject the whole cartridge in one go. It's best to wait until when you're dispensing and the flow slows right down, this is when it needs to be injected. The barrel will try and draw air in through the tap and 'glug' and it is this CO2 you inject which builds the pressure up and stops this from happening. How often you need to add one varies depending on the brew itself, the temperature and how quickly it is drank, some brews never need any, it really can vary
  • Options

Thanks for your quick reply HBO!!

• Options
    davemortondavemorton Member Posts: 40
    Try this Chris (it's a proper challenge though!!) Treat yourself to one or two pints now, remember the taste, forget that you have any brew in your barrel for a whole month then go back to it and compare taste/flavour and mouth feel. The difference is unbelievable (in a good way!!) Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited March 2013

If I’m honest Dave that is what I am hoping to do but I think you are right it’s going to be tough hahaha

Being new to it I am yet to build up the rolling stash to be enjoying while I am waiting for the most recent to improve.  It also doesn’t help when all your mates are keen try a sample it as well :D