Options

Home brew heater

Hi there

Iam new to home brewing and I am about to attempt to make my first batch I am however worried about maintaining the required heat for primary fermentation so I have been looking online at brew heaters and found them a bit pricey so I was wondering if I could use a fish tank heater I know it sounds mad but is there a differance?A new one of course!

cheers;

Peter

Comments

• Options
    davemortondavemorton Member Posts: 40
    I have tried this and although it works, it is also a lot more work. The heaters tend to not last very long at all. I use a heating tray and it is brilliant, never let me down and keeps a good temperature up in the garage (which is freezing by the way). A bit of an investment but well worth the money, in fact I have purchased a second one so I can have 2 brews on at the same time!
  • Options
    milenko6980milenko6980 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the advice Dave I was only going to use the fishtank heater untill I can afford a purpose heater.

cheers

Peter

• Options
    davemortondavemorton Member Posts: 40
    Don't get me wrong they do work but I found them to not be reliable. When I first started I had a fish tank heater, it did for my first ever brew and I was obviously delighted with the whole effort. However it stopped working 2 days into my second brew and left me in the sh!t as it was a Friday night when it happened so no chance of a delivery until the Tuesday!