Options

Smell during fermentation

Hi Guys, My first ever home brew (red wine) is 48hrs into fermentation, I have it in the spare bedroom. Now my missis is complaining about the smell.

Is it normal for the brew to smell during fermentation?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Absolutely, fermentation will give off a smell as the gases escape from the vessel, and this is perfectly normal. For this reason some people brew in a shed or garage if possible, but as it is colder out there the brew often needs heating with a Brew Belt or Heater Tray to keep it warm enough or the fermentation will stop.

There is very little which can be done to stop the smell, although most people don't mind it - as it is a sure sign you will be drinking great wine, very cheaply, in the near future!

• Options
    davemortondavemorton Member Posts: 40
    Once she has tasted the wine she probably won't complain about the smell anymore as the results will justify it all ;-)
  • Options
    fendlergsfendlergs Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my wife.  She always complaints about the smel. So I cut off the funnel bit from the airlock, connect a siphon hose to it and hang it out of the winow. Most double glazed windows have two lock potions.  Mean you can lock it while it is slightly open.