Options

Brewferm Abbey Beer Kit

killerklown88killerklown88 Member Posts: 10
im looking at doing this kit,it needs sugar but am i going to get a better result using
A brewing sugar
B beer enhancer
C spray malt
D all sugar needed plus spray malt

Comments

• Options
    robysocksrobysocks Member Posts: 25

Hi there killerclown88 i have made 2 of these kits got a third on the go at the moment.i have used brewing sugar in mine and they have turned out fine.you need to leave them in the bottles a bit longer to mature because they are a lot stronger beers.

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The Brewferm Abbey needs around 500g of sugars adding in one form or another, robysocks brews with sugar turned out well, and we agree the longer you leave the better for the flavour especially with these stronger brews in the Brewferm range. As a rule we always use brew enhancer for the improved body and mouth feel, but spraymalts come in 500g bags which is very convenient for Abbey, if you wanted to add more flavour they come in medium, dark, extra dark versions etc, so you could experiment if you wanted. If you did 'D' and added all sugars needed plus spraymalt, it would make it even stronger in alcohol strength, as you would in effect be doubling the amount of sugars and these would also ferment - and the Brewferms can be pretty strong to begin with, the Abbey makes 9 litres
  • Options
    killerklown88killerklown88 Member Posts: 10
    many thanks for the reply. i ordered 2 kits to brew together, so i decided to use 1kg of sugar and 500g dark spraymalt.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    THis is a good idea with kits such as Brewferm which make smaller batches, double them up and it is around the same amount of work and time, you just get twice the amount! With 1kg of brewing sugar and 500g of spraymalt too, it will come out a bit stronger, but no doubt full flavoured and a great drink. The Breweferm range take a while to condition, we recommend bottles but you could use a barrel if you prefer