Options

'Real Ale' too gassy?

tomstockertomstocker Member Posts: 15
I seem to find that the 2nd fermentation method makes the ale too gassy.  Whether I use a pressure barrel or bottle the ale it has too much CO2 in the end product.  Does anyone else find this?. I'm thinking of starting the 2nd fermentation in a pressure barrel then releasing the CO2 after a couple of days before conditioning in bottles or leaving to condition in the barrel. Is this feasible? Can you let me know if you've tried this.  Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    mozzamozza Member Posts: 41
    How much sugar are you using to prime?
    You should secondary ferment in my opinion especially with kits at you get more flavour, so could reduce the amount of sugar used in priming?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Agree with mozza, it is the priming sugar which secondary ferments, so less sugar will create less CO2 an carbonation, it should be as straightforward as that. It is also important to be sure it has finished fermenting in the first vessel before transferring to a barrel or bottles
  • Options
    tomstockertomstocker Member Posts: 15

Thanks for your comments.  I only prime with the amount of sugar as suggested or slightly under.  It's always lively coming out of the barrel and needs pouring very slowly to stop the glass filling with head.  I do get a nice pint when poured carefully. I'll try reducing the amount of priming sugar in my next brew. I don't like any CO2 bubbles in my ale and I'm not too fussed about acheiving a lasting head on it.  A nice clear pint and good depth of flavour to me is important.  And lots of it! Cheers