Options

St Peters Golden Ale - Advice

andyodellandyodell Member Posts: 20
Hi

I am planning on brewing a St Peters Golden Ale Kit.  This is for an event so I would like to know how long I should set aside for a good brew.

The instructions on the kit (I have only seen online) seem a bit fast.  How long should it stay in the brewing bucket, and then when bottled, how long in the warmer room and then the cooler room (probably the garage)

The final question is how much dextrose to add for bottling.  This isn't a full 40 pint kit it seems so it has thrown me off a little.  In the past I have made up some sugary water and then added that to a second vessel then carefully syphoned the beer on top of that, then transfer to the bottles.

I want to stick to this method, but I would like to know how much I need to carbonate it properly.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

As with all brews, we recommend you leave it as long as possible before drinking, so make it asap. We've made the Golden Ale here, people love it, but ours was bottled for several months and left in a dark place to allow the full flavours to develop. You don't have to leave it this long but if you can then we think it best.

It will take around 6 days at 20 degrees to ferment, check the reading is below 1014 and constant, then it is ready for bottling. If using 500ml bottles, then add at a rate of half a teaspoon per bottle to get secondary fermentation going, which will create some pressure in the bottles - with your method add around 18 teaspoons to the mix and allow it to dissolve before bottling. It then needs to ideally be left at room temperature, around 20 degrees or so, to help the sugars to dissolve and get secondary fermentation going, then move it somewhere a few degrees cooler (and dark), maybe 14 degrees or less. It will then clear and condition. Muntons say 14 days to clear, but it can take longer, as we say, we like to leave a brew for as long as possible in the bottles for best results