Options

Woodfordes Wherry - Brewing Sugar Or Standard White?

ChrisAChrisA Member Posts: 21

Today I was hoping to transfer my first batch of Wherry to the pressure barrel after 9 days in primary fermentation. My dilemma is that I have just realized it requires sugar to help condition the beer and I do not have any brewing sugar to hand.

Would I be better to wait until tomorrow giving me a chance to pick some up or for the secondary fermentation stage will normal household white sugar be ok?

This is my first batch and I am keen to get it right and not regret waiting an extra day if it will improve the final flavour.

I have also read that 85g of sugar is the ideal amount. Would you agree or should I put in the maximum recommended amount of 100g?

Comments

• Options
    sine_nominesine_nomine Member Posts: 22
    To be honest I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between white sugar and brewing sugar, given the small amount needed for secondary fermentation. Llikewise between 85 and 100 gms, I would defy anyone to tell the difference.Personally I would wait until I had obtained some brewing sugar as one or two days is not going to harm the fermentation period, but if you really can't wait don't think you are going to get an inferior product. In my last Norfolk Wherry Iused 92g of brewing sugar — so there we are.
  • Options
    robysocksrobysocks Member Posts: 25
    i would use brewing sugar personally
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Agree with the other comments, brewing sugar is ideal, but with such a small amount used for priming you wont notice much difference. If you have brewing sugar to hand then use it, but using such a small amount when priming will not make a massive difference. Brewing sugar dissolves more cleanly and ferments more quickly, when brewing it is best to use it or an enhancer instead of household sugar for a cleaner taste and quicker fermentation, but that is usually 1kg so will make a difference. Some people say they cannot tell the difference though, so there is no right or wrong here. Priming sugar of between 85 and 100g will also have very little difference, sometimes people say they would have liked it a little more carbonated, so using the top end of the recommended amount will do no harm at all and keep the pressure up in your barrel
  • Options
    RadiowavesRadiowaves Member Posts: 8
    Last time I made Wherry I primed my barrel with 85g of white sugar and the final brew is tasting just fine. I can't honestly tell the difference between this batch and the previous occasion when I used brewing sugar. I guess, its up to you which you want to go for.