Options

Fermentation Temperature and Bottling advice.

Hello

I’m relatively new to the word of home brew – started last November  so three months in.  So far I have brewed Coopers Original Lager.

My first brew came out fine but the last two I have had problems with.  The second brew I did wasn’t carbonated properly because I let it get too cold for secondary fermentation, so I know what I did wrong there.  However both of my last brews have had a tang that I really don’t like – even though they have been in the bottle for over 6 weeks.  I’m just wondering what can be causing this.  I use PET bottles and I prepare them by soaking them in warm water with VWP Steriliser for about 10 minutes then rinsing them out with cold tap water.  I do not wait for them do dry before bottling although I do get most of the water out and generally there are just a few droplets clinging to the side of the bottles when I bottle.  I just wondered if this can be the source of my problem?   Do I need to have completely dry bottles?

Also I have a question regarding temperature fluctuation during the fermentation period.  Because it has been quite cold whilst I have been doing my first brews I have left the central heating on 24/7 to keep the temperature stable.  However – that could get expensive so I have invested in a 25ltr heater tray.  I am currently doing a Better Brew Lager kit that states that it should be fermented between 20 and 25 degrees C.  So using a timer plug and the heater tray I have been able to keep the temperature in this range.  I have been checking at different intervals during the day and the temperature of the brew has fluctuated between 20.4 and 24.2  I’m just worried that the temperature going up and down like this, although within the 20-25 limit will cause problems.

Thanks for taking the time to read.  

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited February 2013

There could be a couple of reasons for this, firstly the under-carbonated brew - the brew should ideally be kept somewhere warm in the bottles for the first few days/week (you can stand them on your heater tray for this) as this gets the sugars dissolving and secondary fermentation going quickly. If using PET plastic bottles you can feel them begin to harden as they pressurise. If you like it with a good fizz with a lager, use either 2 carbonation drops or a heaped teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle. If under-carbonated, especially in colder temperatures, leaving it for a few more weeks will usually improve the carbonation.

The tang you mention can be several things, it is unlikely that the steriliser would leave a flavour if well rinsed in clean water, so that is probably not it. In practice often bottles are not allowed to dry as people wash them and use them straightaway. Temperature fluctuations can potentially affect the brew, so officially the temperature would ideally be constant, however the reality of home brewing is that homes change in temperature, especially from day to night, and most brews will fluctuate up and down a few degrees. This usually can't be avoided and a bit of variation will not usually harm the taste. Using your heater tray will certainly help. Between the 20 and 24 you have been managing is perfectly fine and would not usually affect the flavour. The flavour you have may be caused by the brew still being quite young, especially in cooler temperatures, it would be worth leaving the bottles for an extra few weeks as the flavours usually mellow and vastly improve. Always store your bottles in the dark and away from sunlight and UV light as this can affect the flavour, and away from anything giving off a strong scent or odour which could impart a flavour. Try also other brands as some people can taste a certain flavour from the same manufacturer, the Better Brew lager is excellent, we made the Export, bottled it for around 12 weeks, and it was absolutely great

• Options
    HicHic Member Posts: 5

Hi and thanks for the advice.

From what you have said it looks like I have done everything right except trying my brews too early.  Looks like I need to be a bit more patient.  One thing I did forget to mention is that for the brews that have the tang, I used Muntons brew enhancer instead of brewing sugar, so I guess that may also account for the taste.

Anyway I'm going to try a few different lagers and see how I get on.

thanks again.

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited February 2013

The brew enhancers contain malts so this may give it a slightly stronger taste, but again this will mellow with time as it conditions. Trying a range of different types is a good idea we think, we have made the Better Brew Export Lager in the single pouch and it was excellent. The 2 tin kits are more expensive but need no sugars or enhancers adding - the Ultimate Brewery range is very good and from a totally different manufacturer;

Export Lager - http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/better-brew-beer-kit-export-lager

Ultimate - http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/brewery-classics-german-pilsner-kit