Options

Woodfordes Wherry - Brewing Temperature?

ChrisAChrisA Member Posts: 21

I am currently making my first brew using the Woodfordes Wherry starter kit and have read about the importance of maintaining a consistent temperature at the initial fermentation stage.

I am 19hours into fermentation process and have maintained a temperature in the region of 22 degrees however the instructions on the box suggest that it should ideally be 18-20 degrees.

Can anyone shed some light on the correct brewing temperatures for this particular beer?

There looks like there is a nice foamy head at the top of the vessel but I am yet to see any bubbles from the airlock so wondered if raising the temperature to around 25 degrees using my brew belt would kick start the process?

Thanks Chris

Comments

• Options
    RadiowavesRadiowaves Member Posts: 8
    Hi Chris
    I have just finished making this same brew about a fortnight ago. My fermentation stage was carried out in my bathroom (wife not too happy about this), where I can manage to keep the temp at a steady 21/22 deg C. Like yours mine had a nice foamy head and no bubbles coming through the airlock. I left mine at this stage for 12 days in total after which the foam had fully subsided and the brew started to clear.
    I think this may be a brew which just ticks along at a steady pace and doesn't make a lot of gas. I would be tempted to leave things as they are and I am pretty sure it will turn out fine like mine has.
    All the best..
  • Options
    ChrisAChrisA Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2013

Thanks for the reassurance I was concerned the lack of bubbles suggested a problem.

Out of interest why did you leave yours for 12 days instead of the recommended 4-6. Did it take this long for the gravity reading to dip below 1014 or does it enhance the flavour?

Also if I was to do the same as you leave it for additional days after it reaches its recommended gravity will I reduce the alcohol percentage?

Cheers Chris

• Options
    mozzamozza Member Posts: 41
    Every batch will take a different amount of time. I made the wherry before Christmas and it took around 10 days. If in doubt leave it a couple more days. Especially if bottling! It's best not to rush these things!
    And no, at the start depending on how much sugar you put in will dictate your alcohol percentage. Ie, more sugar equals a stronger brew.
    Hope this helps,

Sam
  • Options
    RadiowavesRadiowaves Member Posts: 8
    Hi Chris
    I have always left all my brews for around 12-14 days in the fermentation stage.. I tend to find it gives chance for the brew to settle and clear slightly better before going in the bottle, You can also be sure that this first stage of fermentation has completely finished by leaving it a little longer. Mozza is quite right, it won't affect the alcohol percentage in your brew, that's determined by the sugar content.
    All the best & enjoy