Options

Bottles

Just wondering how everyone goes about getting enough bottles for a batch? In the past I've bought a few to get enough but this gets expensive! I've also considered raiding people's recycling but don't want to look like a burglar!
Just curious really,

Sam

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We know some people get their friends to save them, others get friendly with the local pub or restaurant who otherwise just throw them away. We opt for PET plastic crown caps, they're quite good value and can be re-used, but have the advantage of being plastic so you can tell if the brew inside is carbonated, they can still be opened with a bottle capper so look the part too!
  • Options
    sine_nominesine_nomine Member Posts: 22
    I guess you'll just have to bite the bullet and buy some bottles. Don't forget they'll last for years  and years so once you have enough there will be no more expenditure. Personally I prefer the Cooper's PET bottles because (i) they weigh next to nothing, (ii) they can be  stored permanently in the boxes in which they came and (iii) owing to their light weight they are easy to carry around whilst  full, still in the boxes. I have enough of these bottles for 3 five gallon brews which  means I can leave them to condition for a couple of months or more. Simples!
  • Options
    mozzamozza Member Posts: 41
    Been and bought 40 on eBay from someone local for £7, so quite pleased. Can finally brew the Finlandia winter beer I bough a month back!
  • Options
    nigel6nigel6 Member Posts: 3
    I would also recommend the PET bottles for the same reasons that sine-nomine suggests, I have about 160 500ml beer bottles bought from this site. In addition you can tell when the beer has carbonated as the bottles become quite firm to the touch.