Options

Gluten free Cider?

I'd like to make some Gluten Free Cider for my lad who has coeliacs and wondered if anyone knew for certain which kits are gluten free. I guess I may have to start sending emails to the makers, but a quick look at the online descriptions tells me nothing. 

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited February 2013

We've checked the description on the tins of cider and none describe them as gluten free unfortunately, we've tried to get answers on gluten free before on various things and the answers are generally vague and wont confirm anything as gluten free because of the factories they are made in. This is why we stock the 'Gone With The Wheat' range which is totally gluten free, however there are 2 lagers and a strawberry beer, no ciders unforunately;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/gone-with-the-wheat-european-czech-style-lager

They are desribed as; The extract is made from 100% gluten free sorghum extract, which is white sorghum grain and water.

Have you considered making cider with some pure apple juice and cider yeast, some advice is on this link; http://homebrewonline.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1372/#Comment_1372

• Options
    grant040464grant040464 Member Posts: 7
    Hi HBO Staff, thanks for your help and the links. I've seen the GF beers, but my son hasn't got the taste for beer and has for cider. Most all mass produced ciders are GF and it's really frustrating that there doesn't seem to be kit that is! 
    Having coeliacs isn't like having a nut allergy, all coeliacs consume wheat/gluten in some quantity on occaisons, it really isn't a big dealin small quantities, so, for these suppliers of cider kits to be so cautious, isn't at all helpfull. 
    I have the brewing equipment so will just need some cider yeast (from looking at your kit link) and the recipe sheet. If I ask nicely would you perhaps send one with the cider yeast? How much of this yeast would I need for 23 litre batch? Making some from Apple juice seems the way to go here.
    Any other tips? or are they all covered in your Recipe sheet.
    Kind regards, Grant
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Grant, we know what you mean, it is a shame they wont specify GF, just to let you know, we've tried one of the GF beers before, and thought the one we tried tasted more like an elderflower champagne style drink, rather than beer (but it was not from the GWTW range) more fruity than anything. A sachet of cider yeast will make 23 litres or 40 pints, just email us once you place the order to remind us and we'll pop a cider instruction sheet in for you that's no problem at all (sales@home-brew-online.co.uk) The recipe guide is quite straightforward, you just need apple juice, and sometimes people add sugar for strength and sweetening, or honey for flavouring