Options

Too long in primary?

Hi all, 

Still very new to home brewing so I apologise if this is a daft question!

I recently set a lager going from a kit (just a Wilko's own, thought I'd give it a go though I fear you get what you pay for!) however it was left fermenting for about three weeks in the end as I had the dreaded flu! I have bottled it now but I was wondering if there is any point, with it going so far over the 6-8 days it should have had will it be ruined?

Thanks,
Ash

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Hi Ash, brews are best not to be left in the first vessel for too long as it could potentially be affected by the dead yeast in the bottom of the vessel, however it does happen that the brew is left in there sometimes for various reasons, and it is not usually a problem. If you brew at cooler temperatures it can take quite a lot longer than the instructions say in the fermenting vessel so it may be in there for at least 2 weeks in those cases. You should go ahead and bottle it and you will more than likely end up with a good brew. You do get what you pay for with kits and service, there are loads of great beers and lagers to choose from, but even some of the cheaper ones such as Better Brew make a great lager, especially if you use a kg of enhancer instead of sugar;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/muntons-beer-kit-enhancer-1kg

Let us know how it turns out wont you....

• Options
    StormrageStormrage Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick reply :)

I have just received my latest order from you which includes the Coopers Cerveza kit so even if the lager I've just brewed is a failure at least I'll have something else coming along soon! 

Thanks again!
    Ash
  • Options
    We don't think you will have a problem, if it smells very strongly of vinegar then that is a bad sign, but your first brew should be just fine. The Mexican Cerveza is very popular, the whole Coopers range is too for that matter, the process is very similar, and the Cerveza benefits from being bottled or barelled for a good few weeks
  • Options
    StormrageStormrage Member Posts: 2
    Well, the Wilko's lager didn't turn out very well at all, the taste was like cheap watered down lager that you'd get at a music festival and there was very little carbonation (however that could have been my fault for leaving it too long).

The Cerveza is now crystal clear and has had a month in the bottle, it tastes great but there isn't much carbonation yet (done a bit of research and it seems time scales vary), I might have left too much room in the bottles (about 2 inches between top of the lager and the cap) so I guess it will take longer for the CO2 to fill that space. It hasn't put me off ordering another Cerveza though! Got my latest order in yesterday and it looks like I'm going to be busy with brewing for the next few weeks! :D 
  • Options
    You will find the taste and carbonation improve with more time in the bottles, ideally leave them somewhere dark and cool for best results